Thread: Ball drilling...

Default Ball drilling...

So if I take an undrilled performance ball to my pro shop and I don't know my PAP, do they just drill a basic layout on them. If I tell them what I want the ball to do, can they achieve that at all?

Some will simply take your measurement and stick 3 holes in it where they think they should go. If you bring in a undrilled ball bring in another ball and ask the PSO watch you throw and measure your PAP and all. It is much better to go in ahead of time and speak with the PSO and get a feel for them and make sure they seem like they know what they are doing and are willing to help.... They drilling from what I know is based off the individuals PAP and basically all their specs. A layout that is put on a ball for you will look different on a ball for me.. Even if they layout numbers are the same and thats because the measurements are taken from a different starting point..

So long story short.... Make sure they watch you throw and measure your specs first and not stick 3 random holes in the ball lol.

No, no, NO! You are going at it backwards. You need to understand that back in the old days, pre-resin that was introduced in the mid-ninties, bowling balls were very simple. They were comprised of a very non-reactive cover, urethane, plastic, or rubber over a sphere of plain gypsum. There was a small "pancake" weight block put where the holes were drilled to keep the ball within legal balance requirements. The only way to affect how the ball reacted to the lane (barely noticeable by today's standards) was to vary the layout to make the ball go longer (pin up finger weight) or roll earlier (pin down thumb weight).

Soon after reactive resin balls were introduced, dynamic cores were added within the balls. Between the great variance in the reactivity of cover materials and the wide range of core types used today, balls are designed to react a certain way to the lanes. Today, smart bowlers choose bowling balls by what they are designed to do. They don't buy a ball and expect the PSO to make it do something other than what it was designed to do. If you buy an early rolling, aggressive bowling ball, and tell the PSO to "make it go long and snap," and watch carefully, you will undoubtedly see the PSO roll his eyes and start grinding his teeth.

If you want a ball that has a certain reaction, tell the PSO and let him pick the ball for you and drill it with a layout that is right for you and your style. Better yet, start learning about bowling balls so that you will be able to pick a ball based on how it was designed.

Chats: 32

The ball design should determine what the ball does. The layout simply can be used to enhance it's reaction and tailor it to your game. The PSO should help determine your PAP before drilling the ball. It would be best to have the PSO help you select the ball especially as a bowler who doesn't have a lot of experience picking balls.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I guess I should have said I have a Pyramid Pathogen I won here. I want to get it drilled soon. I am a very boring straight bowler, I can't handle an aggressive ball. In my younger days my Black Hammer was perfect. I'm pretty sure I need a simple layout, but I wasn't sure how that worked these days.

Chats: 4

I wouldn't really call the Pyramid Pathogen an overly aggressive ball
    by any means not with an RG of 2.54 and a Differential of 0.032 and
    a 2000 Grit Abralon and a factory finish polish so it shouldn't be a real
    big hook monster at least I wouldn't think so anyway.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    I guess I should have said I have a Pyramid Pathogen I won here. I want to get it drilled soon. I am a very boring straight bowler, I can't handle an aggressive ball. In my younger days my Black Hammer was perfect. I'm pretty sure I need a simple layout, but I wasn't sure how that worked these days.
    At best layout is maybe 10% of ball reaction. The cover stock and surface will play a much larger roll in what the ball does.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

The Pathogen is a benchmark reaction ball. It shouldn't be overly aggressive. It should provide you with great length and a smooth, controllable reaction. But we agree with everyone else, make sure you have your PSO watch you throw prior to drilling
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 1

I might add have him watch you throw with a properly fitted ball first. whether it be a demo ball he has with various interchangeable thumbs to allow for your span and what not, or an old one that you have that is properly fitted.
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare