Thread: Question for a Driller...

Default Question for a Driller...

As I was browsing bowling balls, I saw some Brunswicks that said they just need a standard drilling, which appeared to show that they can be done without knowing the PAP. Is this true? If so, are they they only company like that? I think it was the Rhino I was looking at.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    As I was browsing bowling balls, I saw some Brunswicks that said they just need a standard drilling, which appeared to show that they can be done without knowing the PAP. Is this true? If so, are they they only company like that? I think it was the Rhino I was looking at.
    Not a driller.

It would help if you posted a link to what you saw, so we could see what you read in context. (I'm guessing your miss interpreting what they said, probably something like this "ball works good with most standard layouts" which doesn't mean you don't need a PAP. Just that there are standard layout such as : 5x5, 4x4x2 etc.)

But for the most you should have a PAP location to layout a ball for optimum performance. With that being said there are some instances when you don't have a PAP, Such as a new bowler or one changing over from a conventional grip.

You can't use the PAP from a conventional grip ball, it isn't the same as what they would have rolling a fingertip. Having them roll a fingertip ball that just happens to fit doesn't really work either, because they won't have developed a stable PAP location until they have their release stable.

In those cases there are some generic PAP locations and layouts that can be used.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-31-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Not a driller.

It would help if you posted a link to what you saw, so we could see what you read in context.

But for the most you should have a PAP location to layout a ball for optimum performance. With that being said there are some instances when you don't have a PAP, Such as a new bowler or one changing over from a conventional grip.

You can't use the PAP from a conventional grip ball, it isn't the same as what they would have rolling a fingertip. Having them roll a fingertip ball that just happens to fit doesn't really work either, because they won't have developed a stable PAP location until they have their release stable.

In those cases there are some generic PAP locations and layouts that can be used.
    Here's the link from Brunswickbowling.com
    http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/bal...o-black-pearl/

Under "more information" it has drilling layouts.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Here's the link from Brunswickbowling.com
    http://www.bowlwithbrunswick.com/bal...o-black-pearl/

Under "more information" it has drilling layouts.
    Yes those are the mfg. drill sheets with suggested layouts, all of those are based on using the PAP measurements to locate your grip.

The bowlers PAP (the circle with the "A" in it you see is the Axis (your PAP) it's part of the info this is referring to:

*"These layouts are very general and will apply to every bowler differently based on multiple variables. These include the bowlers ball speed, rev rate, axis rotation & tilt, and lane conditions. All or most of these variables should be known so that the best possible layout can be chosen for each ball. We recommend that you contact your local Pro Shop Professional for more detailed layouts and how to apply them to your game for each ball in your arsenal.”

The PAP locates where your grip will be in relation to that layout.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-31-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ahhhhh...ok, thank you much!