Thread: Fun day coaching with a legend....

Chats: 0

Default Fun day coaching with a legend....

I went to a bowling seminar/coaching session today run by Fred Borden. 1 1/2 hours of classroom and 1 1/2 hours of bowling. I only was there for the classroom work as I didn't want to bowl. I bowled last week on Saturday and it was Wednesday before I could walk upright again. My league starts Tuesday so I figured I would save myself for league.
    Anyway, during the classroom session, Fred kept firing questions my way, and I answered them the best I could. He asked me if I was bowling. He knew I had aggravated my hip last week. I told him I wasn't bowling. He said " Good ! You can help me coach today ". So I went out to my car and got my bowling shoes on and for the next 1 1/2 hours I helped several newbies to the game learn a four step approach and how to follow through after delivering a ball.
    It's fun teaching those new to the sport. Fred handled the more experienced bowlers. There are two more seminars in the following weeks and I said I would try to make it. Next Saturday I have to work midnight to 8am at a special event at work, so I'll be a little bleary-eyed but I'll make it.
    Fred is 70 something years old and wears me out. We both went thru heart surgeries this year. He's farther along in his recovery than I am. He's fun to work with with.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Wow, sounds like a great experience! Did you pick up any good info?

So how do you follow through after delivering a ball?

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    So how do you follow through after delivering a ball?
    The same way every time, bowl1820! Get your bicep by your ear, as coach Borden teaches, and you'll be fine.

Cranker

Always good to make connections especially someone of Fred Borden's caliber. Maybe you'll go into coaching.

Did he give you a discount on the clinic since he had you coach? =P

The clinic covers three consecutive Saturdays, and there's no charge to anyone for anything. He promotes the house he owns and the sport he loves.