Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I left a what?

Default I left a what?

Practicing at a different house yesterday. I left a 5,7,10 split!?? I don't think I have ever left that before except maybe in Wii bowling! Lol

This split is called the "Sour Apple," and it is without doubt the most embarrassing leave in bowling. I happens when the ball loses so much energy before getting to the pins that it hits like a toasted marshmallow. Unfortunately, with modern bowling balls getting more and more aggressive, it is starting to happen more frequently, particularly when bowlers insist on using balls that are way to aggressive for the lane condition.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Yup....7-10 is a shock sometimes...but this one is a real nice surprise!

What Rob said!

Another weird one that has been popping up more now... the 3-4-6-7-9-10 split. Yep, a 4 count split. Our scoring monitors won't even mark that one with the split indicator because the pin count from ball 1 is so low. With the more aggressive balls this hit (a drive directly through the head pin moving left, for a righty) is happening more than it ever used to.

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    This split is called the "Sour Apple," and it is without doubt the most embarrassing leave in bowling.
    We call it the Lilly around here but it is still a SOUR leave no matter what it is called. LOL!!!!!!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 32

I've also seen it called the lilly more than anything. I actually used to see more of them before the advent of modern bowling balls but yes if your seeing that the ball is losing way to much energy.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 256

Whenever a male bowler leaves that I ask them to throw their purse at it next time. LOL
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    This split is called the "Sour Apple," and it is without doubt the most embarrassing leave in bowling. I happens when the ball loses so much energy before getting to the pins that it hits like a toasted marshmallow. Unfortunately, with modern bowling balls getting more and more aggressive, it is starting to happen more frequently, particularly when bowlers insist on using balls that are way to aggressive for the lane condition.
    Like Chris Barnes

Chats: 10

Well....did you pick it up? Lol
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast