Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transition to Left Handed Bowling

Chats: 55

Default Transition to Left Handed Bowling

Well, it appears my elbow is NOT responding to all of my treatments, physical therapy, rest, ice/heat, etc..etc.

Therefore, I am considering starting the fall season left handed, and as such, I'm looking for any and all suggestions and answers to these questions.

I currently bowl right handed with a 14 lb, should I drop to 13 lb for bowling with the left hand? If not, it was suggested that I just bevel one of my IT thumbs to allow my left thumb to clear faster and see how I throw the ball, thus being able to use any ball in my current arsenal. It seems to me that the layout would make the ball work against itself, would it track correctly or not?

I know that if I start left handed and then want to change to right handed that I must have the BOD approval to do so. But what do I need to do in the beginning to start left handed? Do I need to tell the secretary anything special? Does USBC need to be notified, or is that all handled at the submission of averages?

Any and all suggestions are welcome, as this is in the beginning thinking stages. Appointment with doctor and therapist next week and then I will decide which way to go....I just hate not bowling.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    currently bowl right handed with a 14 lb, should I drop to 13 lb for bowling with the left hand?
    That I can't really say

If not, it was suggested that I just bevel one of my IT thumbs to allow my left thumb to clear faster and see how I throw the ball, thus being able to use any ball in my current arsenal.
    No, Your spans, pitches won't be the same and a poor fitting grip would just cause you headaches down the road. Better off to just have one of your other balls plugged (or get a cheap new ball) to learn with and be refitted for your left hand.

It seems to me that the layout would make the ball work against itself, would it track correctly or not?
    It doesn't necessarily work that way, It would all depend on what the org. layouts just happened to be and where your new PAP is etc.

I know that if I start left handed and then want to change to right handed that I must have the BOD approval to do so. But what do I need to do in the beginning to start left handed? Do I need to tell the secretary anything special? Does USBC need to be notified, or is that all handled at the submission of averages?
    Basically you just start left handed, At the start of the season you just use whichever hand you want, you don't need special permission then. you just have to stick with that hand once you started with it .

You usually mark which hand you use on your team roster when you fill it out. I don't remember any other particulars right off hand, but I'd notify the secretary just to make sure.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-08-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Well, it appears my elbow is NOT responding to all of my treatments, physical therapy, rest, ice/heat, etc..etc.

Therefore, I am considering starting the fall season left handed, and as such, I'm looking for any and all suggestions and answers to these questions.

I currently bowl right handed with a 14 lb, should I drop to 13 lb for bowling with the left hand? If not, it was suggested that I just bevel one of my IT thumbs to allow my left thumb to clear faster and see how I throw the ball, thus being able to use any ball in my current arsenal. It seems to me that the layout would make the ball work against itself, would it track correctly or not?

Any and all suggestions are welcome, as this is in the beginning thinking stages. Appointment with doctor and therapist next week and then I will decide which way to go....I just hate not bowling.
    When I switched to lefty, I went out and tried it using a house ball that was a pound less than what I used right handed. After I got the 6 gutter balls in the first 4 frames out of the way I was confident I could make the switch and that I could use the same weight as I do right handed. I second Bowl1820's suggestion of getting an inexpensive ball drilled for your left hand.

My left handed approach looks pretty much like a mirror image of my right handed approach. My friend Jeff, who switched as a teenager had to add a fifth step to make it feel right.

Good luck, I hope the tendonitis goes away.
    John

If you're ambidextrous, it will make the transition probably much easier for you just to get the ball down the alley.
    Just think of how you started bowling in the first place. Get yourself a plastic ball fitted for your hand and I'd get a 14 lb. ball. Perhaps get it with a conventional grip. You can get it plugged and dedrilled with fingertip later after you've learned to begin to get the feel of rolling the ball lefty.
    If you're more venturesome, get an inexpensive reactive ball like the Roto Grip Hustle Ink and go right for the fingertip grip.
    I think you've mentioned that you've had issues with swelling of your fingers while bowling. You might have to play with the IT system when you bowl left handed as well. You'll find out quickly I suppose.
    It will first be getting used to the left side of the lane and getting a feel of the ball. Then your eyes will have to adjust to picking up all those nasty spares along with your footwork and swing.
    Best of luck...

Chats: 0

I knew a guy in the 1980's that bowled one league lefty and another one righty. You just aren't allowed to switch back and forth in the same league to shoot spares and whatever.
    I would buy a new ball, and don't forget about your shoes. No need to face-plant because you stick on the approach.

Well, I did it. Got bored of just watching and decided I really wanted to bowl.

Since the consensus is that I could be out of commission anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months, I bowled left handed Monday league to see what would happen. Let me first say that I am anything but ambidextrous and I still have the brace on my right arm/wrist so supporting the ball was a bit difficult but not impossible. Ok, so enough whining. Oh, and I bowled the first two games and a frame or two with my 14 lb right handed drilled Paradox, then changed to a 12 lb house ball for the remainder of the game.

Game 1 - 71
    Game 2 - 74
    Game 3 - 73

Consistent is all I can say it was. Oh, and I provided lots of comic relief for all around.

Will be going to the PSO tomorrow to check on getting a 12-13 lb ball. I don't really expect to average much over a 100, but at least it puts a bowling ball in my hand. And that is a good feeling!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Wow, I guess any kind of bowling is better than no bowling. If you get a 12 lb ball drilled to your hand I think it'll be easier and your scores will go up.

Also, I would suggest maybe just doing a one step approach that way all you need to concentrate on is your swing. Once you get comfortable with that, then you can start adding an approach.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I think, given what you were throwing, you should be able to go with 13 pounds. The only question would be does your PSO have a ball that you would want in 13#.
    John

Yesterday was at the proshop and had a 13# Boost drilled lefty. Only got to throw one game - 107.

PSO suggested the Boost or the Cyclone and after watching me throw my right handed 14# Paradox, suggested the Boost over the Cyclone - and it's prettier (:>. Felt decent. Bowl league in the am, so time will tell. My footwork was much better yesterday, now I just need to stay behind the ball as I have a bit of a tendency to throw a backup every now and then that ends up going straight.

Interesting league play...I feel so uncoordinated.

Scored a 66, 80, 93 for 239. At least each game got a little better. Just have little control over my hand position right now it seems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast