Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RobLV1's Plastic Pilgrimage

Today my Wife and I bowled against a young couple, both two handers who totally ripped up the end of the pattern. I had a pretty good day with 183-197-167 = 546. I threw 15 strikes, 12 spares, 7 splits, 2 split conversions, and 6 opens. The fact that I only had one open (I chopped the 2-4 off of the five) that wasn't a split made me very happy. In three games, throwing plastic, I moved five and three left and it really wasn't enough. It's amazing how much damage high rev players do to the end of the pattern. Luckily for us, after losing the first game by nine pins and getting slaughtered the second game due to the fact that woman two-hander with a 138 average shot 202 against us (her first 200 game ever), they were totally lost the last game, giving us a nine pin win for game 3. The important thing is that I'm enjoying bowling more now than I have in many, many years!

Great! This past week we had a couple of our teammates who average around 125 roll over average a bit in the men's league (believe it or not) and we took all three games. We didn't think we had a chance to do anything as this other team beat us handily at least three times last year (i.e., 0-9). Even though our low score guys didn't do all that well it was enough for use to squeak out some wins. We bowled as a team. Enjoyed it as I thought we had no chance. Just gave it my best each and every shot. That's what its all about... Have fun Rob!

Today was quite a learning experience. My biggest problem with plastic is that as I chase the oil in as the reactive players burn up the line, I reach a point (usually around 13-14) where the plastic ball just won't recover. Today I decided to try going way outside (around 6-7) with a polished plastic ball when I could no longer move in. The problem I ran into was that we bowled against two young women who were throwing very aggressive balls (a SureLock and some kind of Cell) outside of ten, in the dirt from the beginning. I had to play inside of them from the beginning of the first game, and had no carry at all. I threw only 9 strikes in three games. Coupled with 16 spares and five opens (4 splits), I shot 170-182-178 = 530. The good news was that I was high on the pair.

On a side note, Tuesday, during the first game, using plastic, I shot the best game of my life (not score). I shot 225 with every single ball flush in the pocket, giving me at least a nine count. I left only back row, single pin leaves, and picked up all of them. I REALLY NEED TO FIND A NO TAP LEAGUE! LOL

I am seriously considering getting a plastic ball just to experiment with after reading these posts! It would be interesting to see my shot stripped down.

Chats: 2

Every year in my home center, we hold a no-tap tourney. I won it 2 years ago using only my Belmo plastic ball (yes, I'm a 2-hander). But, I just threw rockets at the pocket. I ran a natural front 10 one game, then ripped a 10 pin, then threw another natural strike. Yes, I may be a 2-hander with a decently high rev rate (around 400rpm). But if I can get away without swinging a ball and play down the boards, that's where I'd like to be. I have no use for high end equipment really in my home center. This year, I've actually gone away from it all together, throwing a Rotogrip Hot Cell and a Pitch Blue when they start to break down. So far it's paying off. Good luck on the Plastic Ball Endeavors!
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Every year in my home center, we hold a no-tap tourney. I won it 2 years ago using only my Belmo plastic ball (yes, I'm a 2-hander). But, I just threw rockets at the pocket. I ran a natural front 10 one game, then ripped a 10 pin, then threw another natural strike. Yes, I may be a 2-hander with a decently high rev rate (around 400rpm). But if I can get away without swinging a ball and play down the boards, that's where I'd like to be. I have no use for high end equipment really in my home center. This year, I've actually gone away from it all together, throwing a Rotogrip Hot Cell and a Pitch Blue when they start to break down. So far it's paying off. Good luck on the Plastic Ball Endeavors!
    I didn't know there was a Belmo plastic!

Chats: 2

Storm stopped making it a few years ago. Mine ended up cracking around the pin, and thinking nothing of it, I donated it to a girl in a wheelchair who paints them and makes some cool stuff with them. Now I'm thinking I should have put that thing on Ebay...people want an arm and a leg for them! Some people, drilled even, want almost $300 for them. All it is, clear plastic ball, white block inside, with some gold flake in the plastic lol. Honestly, I've been looking for one of the black ones he used on the TV shows at the time, but storm never put them into production.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Storm stopped making it a few years ago. Mine ended up cracking around the pin, and thinking nothing of it, I donated it to a girl in a wheelchair who paints them and makes some cool stuff with them. Now I'm thinking I should have put that thing on Ebay...people want an arm and a leg for them! Some people, drilled even, want almost $300 for them. All it is, clear plastic ball, white block inside, with some gold flake in the plastic lol. Honestly, I've been looking for one of the black ones he used on the TV shows at the time, but storm never put them into production.
    Wow...as big as he is right now, I'm surprised Storm hasn't cranked out a Belmo line of balls for all ages!

I learned a whole lot today. My wife was not feeling well, so a friend subbed for her. We bowled against two young, tattooed crankers who had no idea about accuracy and threw the ball about 20 mph with 450+ rev rates. We won the first game; I had 189 and my partner 224. The second game, both of our shots were gone as the crankers were literally burning up two feet across the end of the pattern. I shot 149 the second game which we lost. The third game I tried increasing my tilt and targeted at the pins, playing way outside. My 180 and my partners 202 was enough to win two games and totals.

Nice! I love to hear stories like this! I'm sure they were a little miffed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast