Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question #485: Ball Polish

Default Dumb Question #485: Ball Polish

Would auto polish work on a bowling ball?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Would auto polish work on a bowling ball?
    If it's actually polish and not a wax it might work.
    John

Chats: 4

If it is something like turtle-wax and just as long as it doesn't contain
    a real wax compound you should be ok. Another route you can take is
    to buy a quart of Finesse-it but it is a bit expensive but works great
    and I do believe it lasts a lot longer than regular polish.

You can find it at a auto parts store and you only have to use about
    half as much of it at a time compared to regular ball polish.

If you use something that contains a wax based compound it can and
    most likely will clog up the pores on the ball and kill the performance
    of the ball.

[Edit]

Here is a link to what I use to use all of the time a bottle of it lasted
    me a loooooooooooooong time but as I said it is a little bit expensive
    3M Finesse-It II Glaze
    Last edited by got_a_300; 09-17-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Awesome, thanks for the help amigos!

Chats: 32

technically auto polish is illegal as it isn't USBC certified although it'll never be tested. The bigger worry is their maybe chemicals that could effect you ball reaction in some polishes that may not be easily removed. Buy a bottle of ball polish.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    technically auto polish is illegal as it isn't USBC certified although it'll never be tested. The bigger worry is their maybe chemicals that could effect you ball reaction in some polishes that may not be easily removed. Buy a bottle of ball polish.
    Actually there are some auto compounds approved for before after use, such as finese it ll and perfect it ll.

The main thing with auto products is you dont anything with silicone or wax in it, you want just grits. Most of the original ball polishes, were just auto polishes that had been repurposed and relabeled.

Another off the shelf product is plain soft scrub without bleach, it works as a fine polish.

Heres one to ponder:
    While Abralon, Siaair, sandpaper, etc. are tacitly approved for use before and after, they are not on the approved products list. So could conceivably be considered illegal for use anytime.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-18-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

Heres one to ponder:
    While Abralon, Siaair, sandpaper, etc. are tacitly approved for use before and after, they are not on the approved products list. So could conceivably be considered illegal for use anytime.
    I always assumed that any kind of surface change was a no-no once competition starts. This would include rolling a ball across the parking lot between frames.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by jamoke View Post
    I always assumed that any kind of surface change was a no-no once competition starts. This would include rolling a ball across the parking lot between frames.
    True you cant alter during competition.

When I said illegal for use anytime I meant ANYTIME, you cant use it before during or after.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I have heard the silver polish works really well. Not sure if it's legal or not.

Also, is there any truth to soaking a ball in hot water and dish soap to clean the pores before polishing? If so, had long is sufficient?

Chats: 204

I use an automotive resin polish that contains some wax. But, I only use it on certain balls where I want the ball to go longer and/or delay the reaction more than can be accomplished with sanding pads and buffing compounds.

It depends what you're using the "polish" for. Many bowlers use "polish" to make their balls shiny. To me...you can get the ball to look more shiny by cleaning it...or by using a buffing compound after using sanding pads. The polish I use doesn't make the ball much more "shiny" than it is after using a buffing compound.

I think most bowlers make a mistake in surfacing because surfacing is a multi-step process. You need to sand the ball down enough to get the oil out of it. You need to de-oil. Then you need to apply a surface using sanding pads...which usually involves going down to a certain grit and working your way up to the desired grit. Then, you have to decide if you're going to leave the ball sanded or apply a buffing compound...and if you decide on a buffing compound (kinda like a liquid sandpaper)...what level do you use? There are buffing compounds that are like gooey sand and buffing compounds that are closer to watery polishes.

Then, the last (and least significant) step...do you want to apply a polish? The automotive polish I use is very similar in consistency to Storm Step 3 or Storm's polish. It's just less expensive than Storm's little bottle. I usually apply a very thin layer by hand, let it dry, then use the ball spinner to buff it off.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast