Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb Question #485: Ball Polish

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Would auto polish work on a bowling ball?
    Automotive buffing, cutting, and polishing compounds with abrasives in them are "essentially" intended to do the same thing as bowling ball compounds, however judging by the prices of some of the 3M products I've used I don't see that you would realize any savings advantage by using automotive products, and as has been noted they are not generally
    approved products, with the possibility that some additives intended for polishing clear coat finishes might not be perfectly suitable for bowling balls I would and do just stick with bowling specific products for bowling balls, and automotive products for cars......just seems to make the most sense to me.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adam View Post
    I have heard the silver polish works really well. Not sure if it's legal or not.

Also, is there any truth to soaking a ball in hot water and dish soap to clean the pores before polishing? If so, had long is sufficient?
    There are a million methods for de-oiling bowling balls out there. I've heard everything from dawn soap to kitty litter. Personally I sit mine out in the sun and wipe them off every 30 min. or so on warm days. Silver polish if your talking about actual silver polish intended to polish silver I would never let it anywhere near my ball. Silver polishes aren't just an abrasive but have a chemical reaction. It's not like ball polish is that expensive not sure why people feel the need to look for substitutes that bring unknowns to the table. Life and bowling is complicated enough why bring in the question of did I mess my ball up with that into question. I can screw my games up just fine without having to worry if I damaged my ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adam View Post
    I have heard the silver polish works really well. Not sure if it's legal or not.
    Go to the Ball Cleaning and Maintenance thread, It has the links to the approve/nonapproved product lists.
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...nd-Maintenance

Also, is there any truth to soaking a ball in hot water and dish soap to clean the pores before polishing? If so, had long is sufficient?
    Yes, But it's more to remove oil than to clean the pores. See above link for instructions on the Hot water & Dawn Method of oil removal.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12