Thread: Ball span...

Default Ball span...

What is the best way to check if span is ok. I put my thumb in the ball and marked the center of my middle finger joint with a pen. If that touches the edge of the finger hole that should be good, right? With my hand relaxed that seems to hit to work but sometimes it appears to be up to 1/4 inch off. Any other tips or techniques for checking?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    What is the best way to check if span is ok. I put my thumb in the ball and marked the center of my middle finger joint with a pen. If that touches the edge of the finger hole that should be good, right? With my hand relaxed that seems to hit to work but sometimes it appears to be up to 1/4 inch off. Any other tips or techniques for checking?

If your just wanting to see if your span is too long or short:

With your thumb inserted in the thumb hole and laying your fingers across the holes and your hand relaxed, the half way point between the first and second joint should be at the gripping edge of the hole. If your using inserts it's the gripping edge of the insert not the drilled hole.

Just to double check,

With your fingers laying across the holes, hold the ball like your going to roll it. So that it settles into your hand, then without moving your hand.

Example:

Rotate the ball back up so you can see where the edge of the holes are in relation to the midpoint between the two joints. (or get a picture form below like this one.)
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-10-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    If your just wanting to see if your span is too long or short:

With your thumb inserted in the thumb hole and laying your fingers across the holes and your hand relaxed, the half way point between the first and second joint should be at the gripping edge of the hole. If your using inserts it's the gripping edge of the insert not the drilled hole.

Just to double check,

With your fingers laying across the holes, hold the ball like your going to roll it. So that it settles into your hand, then without moving your hand.

Example:

Rotate the ball back up so you can see where the edge of the holes are in relation to the midpoint between the two joints. (or get a picture form below like this one.)
    Thank you Sir. That's what I was afraid of, it almost hits the first digit....guess my span shrunk in 20+ years...back to the pro shop

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

These are good tips. I would only add that if you use a wrist support like Robby or Storm, be sure to use them when laying out the span. I found they can subtract about a 1/4".

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    These are good tips. I would only add that if you use a wrist support like Robby or Storm, be sure to use them when laying out the span. I found they can subtract about a 1/4".
    Yes that is some good advice ChuckR as they can definitely change
    your span from what it is without it on and with it on.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill