Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a thought...

Default Just a thought...

Being a stroker, I have wondered if it would be easier to just hook a plastic ball up the 2nd arrow, removing the frustrations of oil changes. Will resin balls always be more productive? I don't bowl in a league, just on dried up lanes. I guess a plastic ball would be completely useless on any league oil?

Take a look at my scores on "Plastic Pilgrimage." I have bowled for the first two weeks of the season on fresh oil using only plastic. I'm averaging just under 190. It does not "remove the frustrations of oil changes," it just presents different oil changes with which to deal.

Chats: 32

You can bowl perfectly well on fresh oil with plastic there are still dry boards and yes you can hook plastic just fine too. It doesn't remove transition from the game but it is different. Get on a league if you can. Often lots of opportunities to sub on big league nights also if you can't commit to every week
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Take a look at my scores on "Plastic Pilgrimage." I have bowled for the first two weeks of the season on fresh oil using only plastic. I'm averaging just under 190. It does not "remove the frustrations of oil changes," it just presents different oil changes with which to deal.
    What kind of shot do you play?

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    What kind of shot do you play?
    Whatever kind that will knock down the most pins.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

I can understand...I bowl more off league and get frustrated because i can't throw the same shot. The oil is all messed up. I guess just practice throwing the ball in the same spot instead regardless where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    I can understand...I bowl more off league and get frustrated because i can't throw the same shot. The oil is all messed up. I guess just practice throwing the ball in the same spot instead regardless where it goes.
    That's the thing, I know bowling on oil is totally different. I want to practice as much as I can to get better. My regular house where I can bowl the most ( $5 all you can bowl) is just so dang dry all the time. Eventually I want to join a league but right now I enjoy practicing as much as I can. Maybe if I can master dry ripped up lanes, the transition to oil will be a piece of cake, right? LOL

A word of warning here. I see you have been reading the posts here and seem to be learning to whine about the oil from the more experienced bowlers. There is more to bowling than just the oil. On synthetic lanes, topography plays a huge part. The bottom line is that a bowler can find a shot on most anything. With you current direction, I'm afraid that you are going to be very unpleasantly surprised when you do join a league and bowl on fresh oil. Your problems will go away, but they will be replaced by a whole new set of problems.

When you practice, practice consistency while you are playing a shot that is uncomfortable for you. There is more to the lane than just the second arrow.

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Since you are currently not bowling in a league I understand that you are likely far from considering tournaments, but from my personal experience there is a lot of value practicing on lanes with very little oil. What I have noticed during city/state tournaments is that many host alleys put down a modified house shot that doesn't incorporate additional units of oil on the pattern. Combine this with 10 bowlers on the pair where 6-7 bowlers likely have the strategy of start with the most aggressive piece of equipment and ball down (no matter the pattern); very quickly the pattern gets blown up and messy. This is where learning to bowl on what the lanes present to you is so valuable; this exposure will help you make the correct adjustment rather than just guessing (the number of bowlers who change to urethane when the heads are blown up still amazes me). This can also hold true in league play at the end of the night and will be great experience when you do decide to join a league.

The last positive is that if they lanes are that wonky, you will essentially eliminate miss room which is ideal when practicing (in my opinion).
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Being a stroker, I have wondered if it would be easier to just hook a plastic ball up the 2nd arrow, removing the frustrations of oil changes. Will resin balls always be more productive? I don't bowl in a league, just on dried up lanes. I guess a plastic ball would be completely useless on any league oil?
    If you're just open bowling...it doesn't matter. The conditions are so inconsistent it's silly.

Throwing plastic in leagues puts an emphasis on accuracy and consistency...but you end up being at a disadvantage because any minor miss or minor inconsistency is unlikely to strike. Meanwhile, you can throw resin...miss 2-7 boards...and you might still strike...be more likely to carry corner pins, etc...

The interesting thing about throwing plastic...is you can sort of use the plastic to mess with opponent's shots...theoretically. THEORETICALLY, you could create carrydown on their breakpoint...which would really screw up their shot. The more revs they have, the more they rely on that breakpoint. Granted, I'm not a big fan of using plastic in this way (or sanding balls and trying to screw up the opponents shot)...because I think most bowlers don't have the skill necessary to both bowl at a high level AND mess with their opponent. Usually, you end up messing up their shot while messing up your own game in the process.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast