Thread: The unlikely 573 series

Default The unlikely 573 series

I had all 3 of my balls regripped with larger sizes before league started last week. I think my pro shop guy may have put larger than I wanted into my Phobia. But anyways, I proceeded to bowl a 115 with the Phobia because of the loose fit, and it kept falling off my hand. I should have switched balls sooner, but I didn't. So I decided to go with my Cherry Vibe for the second game which had a better fit. I was a bit dejected after throwing a paltry 115, (a ton below my average) but shook it off the best I could. At least we won the game, no thanks to me.

I proceeded to throw the first 5 strikes, then opened after a split, and then reeled off a bunch more strikes for a 241. The third game was a clean, no-open game for a 217. I managed to average a respectable 191 for the night after complete disaster.

I don't think I've ever had a series like that after such a poor start. But it goes to show that you should never give up and always give it your best. I feel good about my game after taking 20 years off. No complaints here.

As an aside, my teammate shot a 750 series with a 299 game.

Anyone else ever have a good series when shooting a real bad game?

I take it that you had new finger grips put in. If your eyes are good and the light is excellent into the finger holes, you can take a peek in there and read the number of the grip on the inside of the hole. It works that way for the Vise grips anyway. The sizes are from 0 to 11 in 0.5 increments; however, the number on the inside of the hole is the numerator of the insert size fraction starting with 9/16" with the number 9 and ending with 29 for 29/32. The next to last size is 57 for 57/64ths.
    Just check your grip sizes and see what works for you and write them down. Check your other balls to see if they're all the same or not. Good luck!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    I had all 3 of my balls regripped with larger sizes before league started last week. I think my pro shop guy may have put larger than I wanted into my Phobia.
    Just a fyi you could of tried a shim in the phobia grips. Also when you get new grips put in, stick your fingers in and check the the feel before they glue them in.

Good come back though!

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    I take it that you had new finger grips put in. If your eyes are good and the light is excellent into the finger holes, you can take a peek in there and read the number of the grip on the inside of the hole. It works that way for the Vise grips anyway. The sizes are from 0 to 11 in 0.5 increments; however, the number on the inside of the hole is the numerator of the insert size fraction starting with 9/16" with the number 9 and ending with 29 for 29/32. The next to last size is 57 for 57/64ths.
    Just check your grip sizes and see what works for you and write them down. Check your other balls to see if they're all the same or not. Good luck!
    Thanks for the info, will get on it.

Chats: 2

I shot 705 one night with a 146 to start lol. 146-289-270 lol
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    I shot 705 one night with a 146 to start lol. 146-289-270 lol
    Wow, what change did you make?

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Wow, what change did you make?
    This was back in I believe 2009. So if I remember correctly, the only thing I changed was the angle I played. I couldn't cover a spare to save my life the first game. I think I had about 6-7 opens. Mainly 10 pins, few chopped stuff, simple stuff that if I cover it, I shoot 200 no problem. So, I moved right, and started carrying. I simply changed the entry angle into the pocket and low and behold, things started to carry. Sometimes it's not the ball, as I believe I used the same ball for all 3 games (Columbia 300 Apogee...junk, I know lol).
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Nice job finishing your set!! I would have your pro shop just check it.