Thread: Do I Throw Out Old Games?

Default Do I Throw Out Old Games?

As most of you know, I have recently returned to bowling after some injuries. Last night things really clicked, I had three great games in a row and last week wasn't bad either. Now I am wondering with all the changes, how far back should I actually count toward my average if the better/healthier bowling continues?
    I do not currently, nor have I ever played in a league so I have no experience as far as when/if bowlers ever reset their averages from year to year or if the bowler's game significantly changes one way or another.

Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Adam View Post
    As most of you know, I have recently returned to bowling after some injuries. Last night things really clicked, I had three great games in a row and last week wasn't bad either. Now I am wondering with all the changes, how far back should I actually count toward my average if the better/healthier bowling continues?
    I do not currently, nor have I ever played in a league so I have no experience as far as when/if bowlers ever reset their averages from year to year or if the bowler's game significantly changes one way or another.

Thanks for your help.
    "I do not currently, nor have I ever played in a league"

Okay, You have never had a certified/sanctioned average then. So for all practical purposes then you have no average, What ever you average in open bowling basically don't mean squat.

When you join a league and have no average, you establish average the first night. Over the course of the season your average changes up or down as you bowl.

When the season ends your final average becomes your league & book average. If you bowl more than one league, you'll have more than one average. (In that case there is something called a composite average (the average of averages) also. But not too many things use that for anything)

When the next season starts if you join the same league again, they'll most likely will use your average from season on that league as your entering average. Then depending on that leagues rules, after so many games are bowled. That entering average will drop and you'll be using your current bowling average.

On a different league, depending on that leagues rules. They may use your highest book average if you bowled on several leagues the previous season.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-04-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thanks. I know its not anything officially, but I am just trying to use it as a metric to know how well I am doing. When I do join the league I will then have an official average, of course, but why wait until then to most accurately measure improvement?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Thanks. I know its not anything officially, but I am just trying to use it as a metric to know how well I am doing. When I do join the league I will then have an official average, of course, but why wait until then to most accurately measure improvement?

Well you can use whatever you want to gauge your own progress. There's nothing wrong that You just got to remember that Open bowling and League bowling are not the same thing conditions are different etc etc. and take that into consideration when looking at your progress.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-04-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

If you're inclined, there's an app called Pinpal that is really good for tracking things over time - average is one of them (along with spares of any/all sorts, frame scores, a log of games, etc). You can set the date range to see your average or just track it over time. For instance I got it in 2014 and have an overall average from then, but can sort it to my last year/month/league/whatever.

That is a really indepth app, can't just plug a score in. I would love to be able to keep records in that great of detail... But is there a scoring system that makes its easy to jot down which pins remain each time without having to grab my phone after every shot? And then I can input them later?

I am currently using bowling buddy, which I just put my scores in. This would be a nice upgrade.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

That is a really indepth app, can't just plug a score in. I would love to be able to keep records in that great of detail... But is there a scoring system that makes its easy to jot down which pins remain each time without having to grab my phone after every shot? And then I can input them later?

I am currently using bowling buddy, which I just put my scores in. This would be a nice upgrade.
    Printable trackng sheets such as this one cann be used.

http://www.apollostemplates.com/pdf-...in_Tracker.pdf

A new app that is equal to pinpal and cheaper at .99 cents is this one

Bowl! Drill! Score! Stat!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....neg.tbe&hl=en

I've been testing it and it offers many options for tracking pins, ave., balls used, where you stand, marks used and more.

That looks like a good app, but there is no iphone version. I am giving Pinpal a try.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Well you can use whatever you want to gauge your own progress. There's nothing wrong that You just got to remember that Open bowling and League bowling are not the same thing conditions are different etc etc. and take that into consideration when looking at your progress.
    That's the biggest difference I notice. Lanes tend to be on the dry side for open bowling. Oil costs money, and they are not about to keep them lubricated at all times for Joe Shmoe and his 4 kids doing bumper bowling. Just when you figure things out on the dry lanes of open bowling, you will encounter more oil during league and things will drastically change. Not to mention what other bowlers do to the oil pattern.