Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Urethane

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Hot Cell lower price?? That's easily the most expensive urethane on the market and is priced with the top end reactive balls. If I were to get a urethane it would be the Hot Cell. But I'm not getting one anytime soon lol.
    LOL....oh my gosh, I was thinking you were talking about the Bullseye! I never heard that much praise about the Bullseye...lol. Yeah, the Hot Cell is definitely out of my budget!

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    LOL....oh my gosh, I was thinking you were talking about the Bullseye! I never heard that much praise about the Bullseye...lol. Yeah, the Hot Cell is definitely out of my budget!
    They are definitely proud of the Hot Cell with the price tag they have on it.

The Fanatic BTU solid is a better choice than urethane because it doesn't read as early as urethane, and if drilled properly it will have a much slower reaction to friction.

The coverstock on the BTU absorbs oil, where urethane doesn't.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    They are definitely proud of the Hot Cell with the price tag they have on it.
    While yes, it does come with a higher price tag as it is in the HP4 lineup, it doesn't react like a urethane ball in my opinion. With most urethane balls, you have to play the angle game and get it to face up square otherwise you leave some strange things. Not the case with the Hot Cell. It hits a lot like a resin ball would. On a fresh THS in my home house, it will play about 5-7 boards right of my timeless, with the same break point. I actually treat it as a low end resin ball, move left as you normally would kind of deal. Works out well honestly. But, it is 1000 grit, when it finds friction, look out lol
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

"Not the case with the Hot Cell. It hits a lot like a resin ball would. On a fresh THS in my home house, it will play about 5-7 boards right of my timeless, with the same break point. I actually treat it as a low end resin ball, move left as you normally would kind of deal. Works out well honestly. But, it is 1000 grit, when it finds friction, look out lol"

That is where my concern is with purchasing the ball, for the price point am I really getting something that I wouldn't perceive as a low-end resin ball if I was truly honest with myself. While the general thought is that Urethane is in a very specific group for usage; you also have to think about the differences in this ball versus those that created the perception. It is the only Asymmetric urethane of the major ones on the market, with the Pitch black it is the most aggressive cover prep (1000 grit); what it appears is that this is the first one that really embraces the fact that a urethane ball is meant for controlling the front end of the lane (which leads into the first problem that people throw urethane trying to delay the motion) and not to push through the dry to the spot.

Again, price point hurts on this one because I really feel it can be used by some but others are going to have a $200+ piece of equipment that can only be thrown on the most specific of situations.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    "Not the case with the Hot Cell. It hits a lot like a resin ball would. On a fresh THS in my home house, it will play about 5-7 boards right of my timeless, with the same break point. I actually treat it as a low end resin ball, move left as you normally would kind of deal. Works out well honestly. But, it is 1000 grit, when it finds friction, look out lol"

That is where my concern is with purchasing the ball, for the price point am I really getting something that I wouldn't perceive as a low-end resin ball if I was truly honest with myself. While the general thought is that Urethane is in a very specific group for usage; you also have to think about the differences in this ball versus those that created the perception. It is the only Asymmetric urethane of the major ones on the market, with the Pitch black it is the most aggressive cover prep (1000 grit); what it appears is that this is the first one that really embraces the fact that a urethane ball is meant for controlling the front end of the lane (which leads into the first problem that people throw urethane trying to delay the motion) and not to push through the dry to the spot.

Again, price point hurts on this one because I really feel it can be used by some but others are going to have a $200+ piece of equipment that can only be thrown on the most specific of situations.
    This is one of the reasons I love the BTU solid. The price point on this is great, it's very versatile and it takes surface changes extremely well.

Personally, I don't change my surfaces. I keep them OOB (except for my Pitbull 3000 w/polish) with many different drill angles, because once competition starts you cannot make any surface changes.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post

Honestly, in my home center, its ALL I THROW. From fresh, to when it starts breaking down, this is my ball. We are on a 40ft THS that just breaks down incredibly quick. I start around the 10 board, and might move inside to about 17-18 at the end of the night. I bowl in probably the toughest house in Wyoming as far as carry, and it does very well with the twister pins. You'd be surprised where this ball would fit in your arsenal
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

I found out first hand how Urethane can make it slightly tougher for other players lol... We were on a shorter pattern tonight and a guy was throwing urethane and had a great look with it... For me, I had a great reaction in practice having 4 out of 5 flush pocket hits (I pulled one). Through first 5 frames I had a reliable reaction and in about the 6th frame my ball just started doing what it wanted to lol. Throw the ball in the same spot as the others and it would sail on me. Go out to the right a little and it would run Brooklyn or through the nose.. Changed balls and it was split city as I had a huge over under reaction going on... Finally started getting a reliable reaction I could trust in the last game and started striking....... Made me wish I had a urethane in my bag, my ball was doing all sorts of crazy stuff and other players seemed to have this problem occasionally as well so it wasn't just me..... Another player pulled out a urethane and buried the pocket on the first throw....... Reactive resin is going all over the place and urethane is crushing the pocket #YallGotAnymoreOfThatUrethane

Only reason I have trouble talking myself into a urethane is we have 1 pattern that we will play on twice (so 8 out of 32 weeks) that I MAY get to pull urethane out for. And unless somebody else is throwing urethane I have done fine on this pattern with reactive resin. Maybe I need to find a middle of the road solid that is less effected by carry down..... Either way, urethanes will go back in the bags next week... On to a long and heavy pattern lol.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Urethane is for controlling the back end. It's meant to hook early and get into a roll to smooth out the backend. I see too many people trying to throw urethane when they really shouldn't. You need a decent bit of oil in the heads to delay the reaction of urethane. When the lanes a burned, is when you should go to a polished ball to clear the burned area and still retain as much energy on the backs. Also cover prep on urethane is different than reactive, it's actually pretty much the opposite. When used on shorter patterns the lower the grit the less reaction. Aside from a few outliers, generally speaking urethane would be for the shorter patterns.

Chats: 32

If your seeing carry down from the urethane the answer would be use something with some surface should take care of the problem
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast