Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urethane

Default Urethane

I love the look of a urethane shot. I guess it goes back to my Black Hammer days in the late 80's. I know high rev players are using more urethane but I want to know if any old schoolers are still throwing primarily urethane. Any of you lower rev strokers out there still rocking the urethane. I don't have one yet but I am really curious about getting one for old times sake. I think Eddy said he's using the Blue Hammer....

Unless you have a TON of ball speed, urethane is a really bad idea. Urethane reads the mid land really early, making it a bad choice for all but very high speed bowlers.

Was urethane the first thing to come along after plastic?

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Was urethane the first thing to come along after plastic?
    Rubber to Plastic to Urethane to Modern Balls but that doesn't mention the soaker era of plastic balls. Rob Nailed it most bowlers are poorly served by urethane compared to a modern ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

I know high rev players are using more urethane but I want to know if any old schoolers are still throwing primarily urethane. Any of you lower rev strokers out there still rocking the urethane.
    Old school stroking.

Well I'm low rev and have lower speed and have a real Urethane ball from back around that time(Faball Burgundy Hammer), If it's a real Urethane ball it will need some surface (and not a ton speed) to get it to read the lane if theres oil on the lane.

Now if it's dry, you'll need some speed and probably a more polished surface.

One thing to remember modern Urethane balls are not the same as ones from the 80-90's. Some are just super weak resin balls and the one that are urethane just aren't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Unless you have a TON of ball speed, urethane is a really bad idea. Urethane reads the mid land really early, making it a bad choice for all but very high speed bowlers.
    A "TON of ball speed"? Yes, if your attacking dry lanes. Which is what a lot bowlers are trying to use it for.

But if there's oil on the lanes, a Urethane with a ton of speed will look like a bullet going down the lane.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-09-2017 at 01:40 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

So the guy at my pro shop says the Black Hammer is true urethane today but was not back in the eighties. Is this true???

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

So the guy at my pro shop says the Black Hammer is true urethane today but was not back in the eighties. Is this true???
    If by that you mean is the formulation of the Black Hammer Remake coverstock exactly the same as the original Black Hammer coverstock was back in the 80's? That I can't say.

Supposedly Hammer to make sure the Black Hammer Remake was a true urethane, shut down the plant and completely flushed out the lines to make sure no resin leftover got mixed in.

According to talk I've seen about today's Urethane, it's felt that it's not exactly the same. It may be pure Urethane, But the chemicals used, process etc. today are slightly different so they it comes out slightly different.

Another thing about the Black Hammer Remake, it doesn't have the same core as the original.

Black Hammer Org.

Black Hammer Remake has these cores:

Now I'm not going to say the remake will react totally different or exactly the same or be worse or better as the Org., I don't have either.

Now if your PSO means the Original wasn't true Urethane, What does he think it was?

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 2

Lower rev/speed guys should seriously consider a Rotogrip Hot Cell if they are wanting to go urethane. Will give you more length like a urethane should, but with the asymmetric core, it doesn't hit like a urethane. It's the only urethane ball I've personally thrown recently that continues through the pins like a reactive ball would. I'm a higher rev/speed kind of guy, and it works well for me. But, I did see a couple of lower speed/rev guys playing with it, and it works extremely well.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Lower rev/speed guys should seriously consider a Rotogrip Hot Cell if they are wanting to go urethane. Will give you more length like a urethane should, but with the asymmetric core, it doesn't hit like a urethane. It's the only urethane ball I've personally thrown recently that continues through the pins like a reactive ball would. I'm a higher rev/speed kind of guy, and it works well for me. But, I did see a couple of lower speed/rev guys playing with it, and it works extremely well.
    Yes! I was really curious about this ball. I almost bought it but the lower price made me think twice. I like the way you describe it and I have wanted a urethane since my Black Hammer days.

Yes! I was really curious about this ball. I almost bought it but the lower price made me think twice. I like the way you describe it and I have wanted a urethane since my Black Hammer days.
    Hot Cell lower price?? That's easily the most expensive urethane on the market and is priced with the top end reactive balls. If I were to get a urethane it would be the Hot Cell. But I'm not getting one anytime soon lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast