Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bowling Shoes

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    Bowler following the rule wipes off the substance put on their shoe to follow the rule, at this point other than if there was moisture directly on the shoe (powder absorbs the moisture and then is taken off the shoe) what is the benefit of using the substance other than to directly transfer to/affect the approach?

The main problem with players using easy slide etc. and why they got stricter with the rule was, Most players didn't use it properly. They didn't realize just how little you actually needed to improve your slide.

(Also the increase in plant & shoot players helped fuel the changes too)

They would powder their shoe like they were powdering a babies butt, pour it on the floor and step it etc. So it was all caked up on the sole and tracked it on the approach. Most didn't do it to deliberately interfere with others, They just didn't know what they were doing.

Not to say there wasn't some that may have done it to deliberately interfere with others, just that most didn't know and/or didn't realize just what a problem it was..

Why use it? Because there are times when you need to adjust your slide (even if your using interchangeable soles, because the others soles maybe too much one way or the other.)

Your able to slide mainly because of dust build up in the material of the sole. That's why when you get new shoes, there's a break in period and they typically suggest That you wear your shoes at home and walk around on the carpet to build up dust in the sole.

With the proper use of powder you can accelerate the process, it can also help to a extent if there's dampness on the sole (I'm not talking about full on wet.) or if something else has affected your slide.

When it came to adjusting slide there were a lot tricks.

Like using your wire brush and brushing the nap in certain directions affected slide (also no problems with Rule 12 with this method)

Rub your shoe on the approach under the ball return, typically a lot of dust under there, it will give you some slide and pretty much nobody will say anything about it.

Cig.ashes were good for a small damp spot on the sole, powders would just get gummy.

Talc/baby powder was okay, Easy slide a lot of the time caused way too much slide (because they used too much).

A carpenters pencil could improve slide when used on the sole, but worked way better when you drew a line on the leading edge of your heel.

Soapstone (Which is what Brunswick's Slide Stone is) is a good choice (but use with caution in regard to rule 12) , rubbed on the sole it improves slide and leaves nothing on the approach (Unless you shave it, which is where you scrape it till you have a big pile of powder.)

I carry one in my bag, though I made my own. Big B's is way too $$$. You can buy a box soapstone for half the price and have enough to last for years. My DIY one is 2 years old and isn't even half gone. Another plus is you can rub it on your thumb if sticking in the hole some.
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...IY-Slidestone?

There use to be a "Slide stick" Proshops sold, it was a wax like stick (not a crayon) that helped slide. But it's gone now.

One thing to note is that even if you do everything properly and get nothing on the approach, there are those few that if they see you do something to your shoes. Will get up, bowl and think it affect them and say it was because of you.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-12-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

My style is a lot like Liz Johnson's, as to where I have a slow, short approach with basically no slide. So to me, shoes are pretty much all the same. Any comfortable pair will do. I actually thought about getting a pair with replaceable slides, then thought why? I paid $50 for a decent pair of regular Dexters and good to go. But everyone's needs are different.

Chats: 0

I see young fellas cutting the front off a tube sock and putting it over their shoe to get some slide. that seems to work well and does not affect the non-sliding bowlers. Me, I have the nice Dexter SST8 and use a S10 or S11 sole.

Quote Originally Posted by JJKinGA View Post
    I see young fellas cutting the front off a tube sock and putting it over their shoe to get some slide. that seems to work well and does not affect the non-sliding bowlers. Me, I have the nice Dexter SST8 and use a S10 or S11 sole.
    Lol...never saw that...what a great cheap fix!

Chats: 2

I've had interchangeable soles now for...a while lol. I've tried different brands (the first Brunswicks that were uglier than sin, Dexter SS6, SST8, and now I'm in the Brunswick TPU X). I must say, if you bowl tournaments or anything in different houses, just pony up a little extra cash and get the interchangeables. I picked up my TPUs for like...$130 online I think. And they are by FAR the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn...bowling shoes or not. Once you figure out a combo you like, you can adjust from there. It's worth the extra $
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

I do like the idea of interchangable souls. Its a nice quick fix to an annoying issue.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    I do like the idea of interchangable souls. Its a nice quick fix to an annoying issue.
    Yes they are a good idea.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Lol...never saw that...what a great cheap fix!
    Yes that's where the idea for the bowlers slide sock came from.

interchangeable SOULS????

pretty creepy since it's friday the 13th, and all SOULS day this month... lol HAPPY FRIDAY!!!
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123