Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowling Shoes

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    ....... if it got sticky, go to the side patio and dump cigarette ashes and rubbed my sole lol.. much safer than that Easy slide or baby powder.........
    Ummmm, that's illegal & if I 'd have seen that you would have had a series of 0 zero for the night.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by imagonman View Post
    Ummmm, that's illegal & if I 'd have seen that you would have had a series of 0 zero for the night.
    Technically, it's not illegal.

What is illegal is if you get it on the approach.(see Rule 12 – Approaches Must Not Be Defaced)

Plus games would only be subject to forfeiture if the player refused to stop doing it after being told to stop doing it by a league official.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-12-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

Back in the day it was common practice and mostly back in those days most players weren't Aholes those few that were likely left with their rule book shoved you know where. Not trying to be mean but bowling was a blue collar sport even more so back then. At least around here that type of behavior would have been frowned upon.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Cranker

If you slide at the line I guess they are more important. I see a lot of people that have no slide,

I bought a pair of like 50.00 Dexters and I put them on and almost fell on my face. So I had to put the slider on the new shoes also. I still use the slider
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Yeah, i dont have much slide but when i stick unexpectedly its still dangerous.

really?! you must be that type of person who think they know stuff, but in reality don't even know much. lol

There was a time when smoking was allowed inside the alley. Many have used ashes from ash trays, or the dust under the ball rack. Easy slide and baby powder, the fellas would watch you. You left that crap on the approach, they'll let you know.

Plus, where I bowled back in the day, your "that's illegal, you'll get a zero!" attitude without even knowing the exact ruling... you wouldn't be bowling in that league, or at that house. Actually not to long ago, "Mr. rule book in the back pocket" had a hard time finding a league and team one year for his foolishness over the years. Luckily, he still had a few friends left... bowling with the seniors now.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Pin Crusher

Sounds like a young man to me. Bowl1820 is correct you are allowed to put ashes, powder or easy slide on your shoe as long as it isn't transferred to the lane. You need it today when you have bowlers going out side to smoke and tracking in with wet shoes.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

I was at a tournament Labor Day weekend be a bowler on our pair put so much baby powder on his shoes that it literally had foot prints on the approach, all over the approach. I said something to him about it and he said that the tournament director told him to do it. So I go grab the director Bc I bowl this tourney every time he runs it and he wasn't too happy. His wife for the rest of the games in that block kept making comments about "we are just here to have fun some people take it too serious" and then told me that it'll help ME slide. When I told her that I don't slide purposely and that it's a safety hazard she then told me that I needed to put some on my shoes to help me to slide. SMH

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

For the sake of discussion:

Rule 12 reads exactly like this:

The application of any foreign substance on any part of the approach that detracts from the possibility of other players having normal conditions is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, talcum powder, pumice and resin on shoes, and/or soft rubber soles or heels that rub off on the approach.

http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....18Rulebook.pdf

The webpage uses an example of a team complaining about the usage and a bowler being told to stop (nothing special there) The question/thought I have though is:

Essentially we can agree that the rule is in place so foreign substances to not find their way on the bowling approaches. A bowler having trouble sliding/stopping on the lane determines it necessary to put a substance on their shoe in an attempt to correct this issue (easy slide/baby powder/whatever). At this point the bowler has not violated any rules, but now before they bowl per the rule they essentially need to remove whatever product was put on the shoe before they bowl, otherwise it would transfer onto the lane and then be in violation (if there is powder on the shoes and those shoes go on the approach, there will be some transfer). Bowler following the rule wipes off the substance put on their shoe to follow the rule, at this point other than if there was moisture directly on the shoe (powder absorbs the moisture and then is taken off the shoe) what is the benefit of using the substance other than to directly transfer to/affect the approach?
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

santos314... I'm not sure if this has been said. But those dexter turbos I got, and maybe the current non interchangeable sole shoes all need a break in period. I can't say for other shoes, but my turbos were sticky. Very little slide. I broke them in by rubbing dirt from under the ball racks and cigarette ashes, then brushed it off. Then checked the slide. I did this several times till I got my left shoe to slide. But rubbing dust on it should help.

Over time the push off shoe got slippery and I wouldn't get full potential of my push off because I had no grip. That's why I had the rubber sole installed by a shoe repair shop.

But if you plan on bowling more in the future, more houses and tournaments, I'd suggest getting high end shoes. SST 8's go on sale, especially during the holiday season. check for sales online. There are other high end stuff to choose from that are not so expensive like the SST 8's. Having the right shoes is very important. It's as important as your grip/span IMO.
    Last edited by fokai73; 10-12-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast