Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball reaction

Default Ball reaction

Which is more influential in the ball reaction, the core or coverstock?

Chats: 22

The coverstock. Put any core you want in a plastic ball, it's still not going to move much.
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

Chats: 0

I would have to say coverstock. Whenever I change the surface of my balls the reaction changes so coverstock it is..

There seems to be some confusion here. Coverstock is the material out of which the ball is made. Surface is the texture that is applied to the coverstock. Surface is much more important to ball reaction than the core. Coverstock and core are about equal.

I think we all knew what they were talking about. Especially when they started discussing changing the coverstock. Obviously they are not going to change the material from which the ball was manufactured.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Coverstock is more important than Core, according to the ball motion study the top five variables to ball motion all relate to the coverstock.

Of those variables surface texture (How the ball is sanded) is king followed by the Coefficient of Friction and the Oil absorption rate.

Overall, the five factors that contribute most to ball motion were determined to be:
    • Surface Roughness (Ra)
    • On-Lane Coefficient of Friction
    • Surface Roughness (Rs)
    • Dry Lane Coefficient of Friction
    • Oil Absorption Rate

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

The important thing to remember is Surface roughness is the only one of these you can change.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 2

Surface goes hand in hand with the core. If you're a higher rev player, surface is going to be the biggest factor. But, I can get the ball to get down lane with the right surface, but if the core doesn't match well with the surface, it could hit like a bag of socks. Then again, you could polish the hell out of a ball with a great core and never get the ball to roll the way it's designed.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    I think we all knew what they were talking about. Especially when they started discussing changing the coverstock. Obviously they are not going to change the material from which the ball was manufactured.
    Thank you Bubba for giving us noobs some credit...lol

Do retailers show the oil absorption rate on their ball info for the factory surface?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast