Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Ball for learning how to hook

Question Good Ball for learning how to hook

Hi, I've been wanting to learn how to hook for a while now, and I figure I should start now. My High School is starting their team soon so I want to get ready. I've been looking for a ball. Tell me, which one of these would be the best for someone learning, like a ball that can still go straight if I want it, and a controllable hook too. I've been thinking, maybe The Pyramid Path Rising, Ebonite Cyclone, Brunswick Rhino, Storm Tropical Storm, Hammer Blue Vibe, Columbia Freeze Hybrid, Hustle INK, Roto Grip Wreck-It/Wreck-Em, or any other ones I am probably forgetting. Which one would be the best for me? Keep in mind, It's gonna be a 10lber, and Preferable be less than $130. (And no, I can't do anything more than 10, I've tried)

If you get a fingertip drilling you will be easily able to through more than 10lb!

Go with at least a 12lb ball.

I would go with the Brunswick Rhino. It's an entry level ball at an excellent price point, and if drilled properly, it will certainly hook. (Brunswick family is all I can recommend)

Ebonite Cyclone is one of the most popular entry level balls for beginners and is gonna be the ball I recommend.. You mentioned some other great balls at entry level price but their performance is not entry level at all. The Hustle INK is VERY good but is slightly stronger than you might think although I wouldn't let that hold you back. The Wreck Em is a great ball but I would stay away from it as a first ball especially if you have a low ball speed, it is very angular on the backend and slow ball speeds would likely make it harder to control. Fingertip drilling a properly fit thumb you will be able to throw more than 10lbs although I welcome you to do whatever you want.. I throw 15lbs and could easily throw 16lbs.. If I picked up a house ball that heavy and tried to it then it would likely be too much for me but with a proper fit its no problem.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I'm assuming you've only been bowling with house balls and you'll be amazed how much lighter a properly fitted ball feels and from the group of balls you listed. I would go with the Ebonite Cyclone since the core is the same regardless of weight. I think all the other balls use a generic weight block under 14lbs. You might want to consider getting 2 balls, a plastic spare to shoot straight and the Cyclone.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    I'm assuming you've only been bowling with house balls and you'll be amazed how much lighter a properly fitted ball feels and from the group of balls you listed. I would go with the Ebonite Cyclone since the core is the same regardless of weight. I think all the other balls use a generic weight block under 14lbs. You might want to consider getting 2 balls, a plastic spare to shoot straight and the Cyclone.
    They do use a generic weight block, but when drilled properly there isn't much of a difference in motion.

I know this because I have 3 12 pounders (4 including my spare ball), and when my shoulder is being very cranky they are excellent balls to go to, and I don't lose performance.

i would also suggest going to 12 lbs the new drill will make it feel lighter ,, get the cheapest entry level resin ball u can because u will want to be stepping up soon after

Pyramid Path Rising! Great entry level resin! Great for starting out, and a decent price for a "learning to hook" ball.

Chats: 32

If you can't throw more than 10 lbs something is wrong unless your a child. I would suggest talking with a good PSO or coach before doing anything. any of the balls you mentioned would be fine I generally suggest starting off with something lower middle of the spectrum Blue Vibe or Hustle Ink would be my favorites from your picks. If your interested in hooking you will want the ball to be drilled with a finger tip grip if your currently throwing conventional gripped house balls it will be a big adjustment. I wouldn't really suggest buying anything below 12 lbs. myself.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Agreed with everyone stating to go up in weight. Once you have a ball custom drilled to fit your hand, you can go up in weight.

Also most of the bowling balls you listed would be fantastic choices. Path Rising, Cyclone, Rhino, Tropical Storm and the Blue Vibe would be your best bet.

Also, agreed with Amyers, you may want to consult with your new coach prior to making a final decision. Best of luck to you!
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast