Thread: never say never

Default never say never

About 7 years ago I wanted to see if I can increase my rev rate. Many have said I couldn't. Even some of those in the industry whom I know told me I couldn't. That saying, "either you're born with it, or your not." pretty much summed it up. I love it when people say "NO YOU CAN'T".... telling me that I'm wasting my time, that I'm stupid for trying.

Since I was 6 yrs old and into my 30's, many ppl have said I can't achieve those things that I have successfully achieved. Many times I've proven them wrong. I failed many times in the process, but I can't stop trying. There was a time though when I thought being accurate is enough to compete. My lower rev rate is was suffice. Well, I'm not accurate all the time and there is an advantage of having more RPM's. So I wanted to increase it.

Anyway, I was told I can't achieve any more revs than the 300 rpms I already have. It was actually between 280 - 300. Unlike those other things I have achieved, I didn't have any guidance from a coach focusing on the modern release. I had to learn it on my own, from reading literature to youtube videos, to practice, to practice, to practice, and working with a power player I was helping.

From him, I slowly worked on this "yo-yo" release that looks so effortless but produces so much turn on the ball and action at the pin deck. It's amazing how much hand he puts on that ball to produce over 400 rpm's. So I took on the task to learn and develop more revs to better my game. And being in my late 30's when I started it was tough. Many trial and errors and even injured myself along the way. But I kept going, kept learning, kept watching, and kept practicing.

Today in my mid 40's, I have more revs than I did 10-20 years ago. I can bowl in more sport conditions and house shots has become much easier to carry. I have guys say "where did this power player come from!??" I have guys say, "when did you increase your revs? Where's the juice?" (steroids).....

The moral of this post is, whatever it is, either it's in bowling or in your personal life, never give up on your goals and dreams. Master Yoda is right. The Terminator is right. Rocky is right... you get hit, you get back up. You get hit again, you get back up again. Never give up. There is glory in failure than to not try at all. (i think bruce lee said that last sentence)

Have a good weekend everyone!!
    Last edited by fokai73; 10-13-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Nice....i need more friends like you in my life! Most people i know really live life with "glass half empty" attitude. Even with my struggling faith i try to stay positive.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Just shows you have to keep at it, the will to improve + practice can work wonders.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lz0VOltZKA&t=418s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lz0VOltZKA&t=418s

These are some motivational videos I watch/listen when things are good and when things are great.

"someone out there is practicing to beat you. practice harder so that doesn't happen."

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Nice, what kind of things did you do to increase your revs?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Nice, what kind of things did you do to increase your revs?
    wow, a lot of stuff over time. I did use training aides like the rev trainer (homemade), a soft ball off the wall, and many hours on the lanes. Kneeling on one leg practicing and feeling the release, slow motion videos, and understanding the physiology of my swing - whole body movements from what works and my limitations. But the "core" of my fundamentals I learned from coaches like Mark Baker and Mike Jasnau for example, I kept.

It really takes time, patience, and a lot of practice. In slow motion, my hand turns counter clockwise, then those last few inches at release point, my hand turns back in or clockwise. My elbow rotates a bit inward and my hand looks like I threw a back ball at the end of my follow through. This wasn't planned on purpose, it just happened.

What's kind of weird too, is that, it felt like I woke up one day and this change just happened. It feels natural and not forced. Accuracy had improved and my average had jump over 15 pins after I took a mini break from bowling. Although, I had to adjust my spare game after that mini break. My spare ball hooks more with my normal release (I could use it as my fist ball too if I wanted to) and since I practiced the back up ball during this process, I throw that way for ten pin.
    Last edited by fokai73; 10-13-2017 at 05:42 PM.