Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pearl coverstock

Default Pearl coverstock

A pearl coverstock is still a resin so it soaks up oil also. Correct?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    A pearl coverstock is still a resin so it soaks up oil also. Correct?
    Yes, All coverstocks Plastic, Urethane, Resin, Pearls, Hybrids, Solids absorb oil, They just do it at differents rates.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

What? Even plastics???

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    What? Even plastics???
    Yes, it's very very slow and not really enough to be of concern but it happens. It could be easily seen in the early clear plastic balls.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Plastics absorb at the slowest rate, while the pearls are next and the solids are like sponges in water.

Since I bowl a minimum of 16 games/week, I de-oil my equipment every 2 weeks with hot water and Dawn detergent, and then I use That Purple Stuff on the surface to get all of the excess oil and dirt off, and all of my equipment reacts almost as if they are new again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    Plastics absorb at the slowest rate, while the pearls are next and the solids are like sponges in water.
    Sorry, but if you put the same surface on a pearl that you find on a solid, it will absorb oil just as fast. It's not a coincidence that solids come with a lot of surface, and pearls come with polish. It's done intentionally to encourage bowlers to buy two (or three) versions of the same ball because they don't understand that they really are the same. Marketing!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Sorry, but if you put the same surface on a pearl that you find on a solid, it will absorb oil just as fast.
    Yes, Even Mo Pinel said pretty much the same thing.

That oil absorption rates are purely a function of the formula used in the resin and that certain additives do affect oil absorption rates, But It's very formula specific. An he said in his experience, pearl is not one of the substances that affects oil absorption.

It's not a coincidence that solids come with a lot of surface, and pearls come with polish. It's done intentionally to encourage bowlers to buy two (or three) versions of the same ball because they don't understand that they really are the same. Marketing!
    This on the other hand is still debatable.

It's assuming that both versions of a balls coverstock (Solid & Pearl) are made exactly the same, with the only difference being surface texture.

Pearls typically have a additive to the base resin that make them pearls, Either liquid pearl (mother of pearl) which tends to add length or powdered pearl which affects the shape of the breakpoint.

If there's a additive to the base resin of one ball such as these, then they are no longer exactly same cover as the solid.

In other discussions of this I've read over time, Given those additives most seem to agree that if you use the same surface texture on both the pearl and the solid, the pearl will still go longer (given the same drill pattern etc. are used).

Now that being said, that doesn't mean a company hasn't or might not in the future put out a Solid and a Pearl where the only difference was surface texture and just call the polished ball a pearl.

Now I know Rob has tried it, taking his Melee Cross and a Melee Jab. Which are from the spec's the same ball, just one is a solid the other a pearl. He put the same surface on both of them and rolled them.

He saw no difference in their reactions and concluded that, there's no difference between solids and pearls except surface.

Not saying anything bad against Rob, but doing only one test with one pair of balls. Isn't enough to make a blanket statement that all solids and their pearl counterpart will react the same if given the same surface.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-15-2017 at 04:40 PM.

I have a number of Storm balls. I have a DIY ball oven using a modified food dehydrator. It works pretty well. Don't use it all that much.
    Two balls that I've had for quite a while are the Byte and the Reign On, neither of which have sweated any oil at all and both have quite a bit of games on them. One is an ERG cover and the other is R2S Hybrid respectively. The Hy-Road does suck up a lot of oil, but it seems to work well anyway. Give a treatment every now and then. The R2S pearl covers don't seem to drink much oil at all. The Torrent with the solid R2S cover drinks it up pretty good. I would have thought that a given coverstock would be the determining factor, but it seems each ball is a bit different. I have no idea why the Byte nor the Reign On haven't sweated any oil during a treatment. The IQ Tour 30 hasn't either.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    I have no idea why the Byte nor the Reign On haven't sweated any oil during a treatment. The IQ Tour 30 hasn't either.
    Given if you practice a strong cleaning regimen (also conditions & how much you bowl), You might not get very much if any oil coming out of a ball.

I have a strong cleaning regimen and haven't had to sweat a ball in years, other than just once in awhile to see if anything has changed.

Yes, I agree with you and thanks for your past posts comparing ball cleaners. I've purchased a shammy and it's lots better than just a microfiber towel. I use a degreaser + alcohol to clean up my gear once I get home. Have a couple of bottles of Kegel Revive and Vise ball cleaner.
    One additional comment the Storm Optimus drank oil like crazy. Two others I know who had them experienced the same. All died, but I resurrected mine with the treatment. The Marvel Pearl using the same cover R2X doesn't seem to have that problem. Great ball!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast