Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pearl coverstock

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Yes, Even Mo Pinel said pretty much the same thing.

That oil absorption rates are purely a function of the formula used in the resin and that certain additives do affect oil absorption rates, But It's very formula specific. An he said in his experience, pearl is not one of the substances that affects oil absorption.

This on the other hand is still debatable.

It's assuming that both versions of a balls coverstock (Solid & Pearl) are made exactly the same, with the only difference being surface texture.

Pearls typically have a additive to the base resin that make them pearls, Either liquid pearl (mother of pearl) which tends to add length or powdered pearl which affects the shape of the breakpoint.

If there's a additive to the base resin of one ball such as these, then they are no longer exactly same cover as the solid.

In other discussions of this I've read over time, Given those additives most seem to agree that if you use the same surface texture on both the pearl and the solid, the pearl will still go longer (given the same drill pattern etc. are used).

Now that being said, that doesn't mean a company hasn't or might not in the future put out a Solid and a Pearl where the only difference was surface texture and just call the polished ball a pearl.

Now I know Rob has tried it, taking his Melee Cross and a Melee Jab. Which are from the spec's the same ball, just one is a solid the other a pearl. He put the same surface on both of them and rolled them.

He saw no difference in their reactions and concluded that, there's no difference between solids and pearls except surface.

Not saying anything bad against Rob, but doing only one test with one pair of balls. Isn't enough to make a blanket statement that all solids and their pearl counterpart will react the same if given the same surface.
    You are correct that one test does not make empirical fact. I'm sure that there are some differences between a solid and a pearl with the same surface but I feel it's probably not enough difference to be seen much by the average bowler and wouldn't want carry a bag with the same ball in it with a solid and a pearl of the same ball.

As far as oil absorption I don't really know if it makes much difference at all. If you don't properly maintain your surfaces though you'll see changes in that much faster than you ever will from oil absorption though.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Here's what I've learned about my equipment.

My original Vandal is a true pearl and it has never been one to absorb much oil and I've never had a performance issue with it.

My solids are a different story. The Thug Unruly and Ultimate Nirvana have BOTH lost performance because too much oil got in them and I almost had to replace them because of it. Fortunately, I got them de-oiled just in time.

My hybrids are a funny pair. The Vandal Destroy and the Radical Cyclops haven't absorbed a lot of oil, but MAN, do they ever collect dirt!

They collect more dirt and garbage than anything I have and I don't use them as much as the others.

Since I'm bowling a MINIMUM of 16 games/week now, I de-oil them every 2 weeks, and it's a darn good thing that I do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12