Thread: Can you get hurt going from cupped to uncupped at the release?

Chats: 0

Default Can you get hurt going from cupped to uncupped at the release?

The pro shop guy at our alley said this can happen when you use the modern release. I used to stay cupped at the release but it seemed to put too much strain on my wrist. After seeing a video on the modern release I used that and am a lot happier with it because I get better revs and ball reaction. It took a while for me to get used to it because I had to use a light grip and trust letting the hand uncup. When I first started using it it would feel like I was dropping the ball too early but I wasn't actually. So I haven't got hurt using this and am happy with it. The pro shop guy said he stays cupped at the release so he won't hurt his wrist. What do the rest of you folks think about the modern release?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    What do the rest of you folks think about the modern release?
    I used to believe that having low rev rate was suffice since I average over 215 on a house shot, but the house I bowled was walled and easy. It was when I bowled on a sport league and realized (I sucked) I was limited to the pattern I could score on and the pocket got really small. If I was as accurate as many of the WPBA who have low rev rate, then I wouldn't have done what I did about decade ago to increase my rpm's.

If a person bowls a house shot only, they can be a very good bowler with whatever rev rate they currently are. I know several low rev bowlers who carry 220 - 230 averages on house shots. They are deadly accurate, but seem limited to where they can play the lane when the pattern breaks down.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

During the 10 minutes of practice before league or tournaments start, I use that time to see what might work best for me at the start, and then adjust as the night goes on.

I have a 5 step approach and hold my arm straight down with my left hand holding the ball as if I were going to throw like a 2 hander, and my wrist is flat.

But as I go to my second step, my left hand comes off the ball. Like a pendulum.

As my arm hits it's peak on the back swing, I lock my wrist into the position I want for my throw.

Fully loaded for max revs, mid load for less, and flat for most spares on the right side.

At the start of the night, I go for low speed and revs. As the night goes on, I go for more speed and revs.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

REVS? You mean like Earl, Norm and Walter?

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    REVS? You mean like Earl, Norm and Walter?
    I think WRW and Norm change their speeds and revs better than just about anybody out there. PB3 isn't too bad either. I've watched all 3, and their versatility is incredible.