Thread: Need Opinions on Action to Take

Chats: 55

Default Need Opinions on Action to Take

I am somewhat involved in two different situations on different leagues and am looking for bowlers opinions on how these issues might be addressed.

1) After voting on the prize fund, it was noted that it contained an error. Team position money is paid out on a point won basis - for example: $3.70 for each point won. In actuality, the available funds would allow for $4.20 be paid out. Would you just advise the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Prize Fund Committee and just adjust at the end of the season to the true amount without notification to the league members; or would you ask the Prize Fund Committee to submit a corrected version to be re-voted on; or would you just advise the members of what happened; or any other ideas?

2) In the other league, we apparently have a team who is very sensitive to the conditions of the approaches. It seems each week there is an issue on their pair of lanes. One week, and it will possibly happen again in a week or so, an older bowler stops behind the line a ways and his ball actually lands on the lane before the foul line. This team was complaining because the oil/dirt was transferring from his ball to the approach. Do you see this as a violation of the defacing approaches rule? Would you expect the officers to address the situation? Or do you think this is just the hazards of bowling? Other ideas?

Thanks for all your opinions and statements!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    I am somewhat involved in two different situations on different leagues and am looking for bowlers opinions on how these issues might be addressed.

1) After voting on the prize fund, it was noted that it contained an error. Team position money is paid out on a point won basis - for example: $3.70 for each point won. In actuality, the available funds would allow for $4.20 be paid out. Would you just advise the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Prize Fund Committee and just adjust at the end of the season to the true amount without notification to the league members; or would you ask the Prize Fund Committee to submit a corrected version to be re-voted on; or would you just advise the members of what happened; or any other ideas?

2) In the other league, we apparently have a team who is very sensitive to the conditions of the approaches. It seems each week there is an issue on their pair of lanes. One week, and it will possibly happen again in a week or so, an older bowler stops behind the line a ways and his ball actually lands on the lane before the foul line. This team was complaining because the oil/dirt was transferring from his ball to the approach. Do you see this as a violation of the defacing approaches rule? Would you expect the officers to address the situation? Or do you think this is just the hazards of bowling? Other ideas?

Thanks for all your opinions and statements!
    For the first situation, it should be sufficient for the officers to inform the league that they will be getting slightly more mone per point. Now if it had been a lesser amount per point, you might need to call a meeting and possibly vote again.

I’m glad I’m not facing the second situation. It can be difficult to get any bowler to finish closer to the line, and bowlers who have been doing it for quite a while are particularly prone to reverting to their old starting position. And even though I doubt that one bowler dropping his ball on the wrong side of the foul line is really transfering a significant amount of foreign material to the approach, the compainers are going to complain anyway.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    I've seen something about having mistake in the prize list before (If I can find the reference I'll post it), but I can't find it at the moment. I think J Anderson pretty much has it, I believe the prize committee/board just had to correct it.

At the most and probably the safest option (to prevent anyone complaining later on) is to follow rule 117, according to it you just have to get the consent of every team capt. and since everyone would be getting more money that shouldn't be a problem.

Rule 117a Prize List
    2. Be approved by the board of directors unless the league rules provide for its adoption by the
    membership. After approval, the prize list may be changed only with the written consent of every
    team captain or designated representative.

Heres some additional info that may help:
    How to adjust the total prize list
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....tPrizeList.pdf

2)an older bowler stops behind the line a ways and his ball actually lands on the lane before the foul line. This team was complaining because the oil/dirt was transferring from his ball to the approach. Do you see this as a violation of the defacing approaches rule?
    Okay, Here's what the USBC Rules dept. say about it.

(TL;DR answer at bottom)

Question: A player during the delivery releases the ball onto the approach before the foul line:

1: Does that violate any USBC rule?

2: If oil on the ball gets on the approach because of said delivery, is the player in violation of Rule 12 – Approaches Must Not Be Defaced?

Answer:

Good Afternoon,

This is in regards to your inquiry.

A bowler who releases the ball behind the foul line would not violate any USBC Rule.

In regards to your second question, if oil is left behind on the approach and it is affecting other members of the leagues approach, it could be a violation of Rule 12.

It would be best to speak with the bowler and explain the fact that their delivery could affect others within the league. If the member refuses to move up further on the approach and continues, a written complaint can be filed with any league officer.

Once a written complaint is filed, the board (captains & officers) would meet and determine if some type of disciplinary action is needed. For example, the board could issue a warning or consider possible removal following the provisions in Rule 115a.

Disciplinary action in the USBC is never automatic or arbitrary, and a definite procedure must be followed whenever a USBC member is to be considered for such action. Dismissal from a league during the season is outlined in Rule 115a and requires a league board of directors’ meeting be held to address the situation and make a decision regarding a complaint received. If a complaint is filed against a member of the league, those involved in the complaint should be present to explain their side of the situation and dismissed only when the board discusses the information provided and makes a decision. It takes a two-thirds vote of the board to dismiss a player from the league.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Jennifer Land
    Rules Counselor

The TL;DR answer:

"Rolling the ball on the approach isn't against USBC rules."

"Oil off the ball getting on the approach could be a violation of Rule 12. Politely inform the player why they shouldn't do it. If they keep on doing it, file a written complaint to the league and let it run it course and see how far it gets you."
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-15-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    I've seen something about having mistake in the prize list before (If I can find the reference I'll post it), but I can't find it at the moment. I believe J Anderson pretty much has it, I think the prize committee/board just had to correct it.

At the most and probably the safest option (to prevent anyone complaining later on) is to follow rule 117, according to it you just have to get the consent of every team capt. and since everyone would be getting more money that shouldn't be a problem.

Rule 117a Prize List
    2. Be approved by the board of directors unless the league rules provide for its adoption by the
    membership. After approval, the prize list may be changed only with the written consent of every
    team captain or designated representative.

Okay, Here's what the USBC Rules dept. say about it.

(TL;DR answer at bottom)

Question: A player during the delivery releases the ball onto the approach before the foul line:

1: Does that violate any USBC rule?

2: If oil on the ball gets on the approach because of said delivery, is the player in violation of Rule 12 – Approaches Must Not Be Defaced?

Answer:

Good Afternoon,

This is in regards to your inquiry.

A bowler who releases the ball behind the foul line would not violate any USBC Rule.

In regards to your second question, if oil is left behind on the approach and it is affecting other members of the leagues approach, it could be a violation of Rule 12.

It would be best to speak with the bowler and explain the fact that their delivery could affect others within the league. If the member refuses to move up further on the approach and continues, a written complaint can be filed with any league officer.

Once a written complaint is filed, the board (captains & officers) would meet and determine if some type of disciplinary action is needed. For example, the board could issue a warning or consider possible removal following the provisions in Rule 115a.

Disciplinary action in the USBC is never automatic or arbitrary, and a definite procedure must be followed whenever a USBC member is to be considered for such action. Dismissal from a league during the season is outlined in Rule 115a and requires a league board of directors’ meeting be held to address the situation and make a decision regarding a complaint received. If a complaint is filed against a member of the league, those involved in the complaint should be present to explain their side of the situation and dismissed only when the board discusses the information provided and makes a decision. It takes a two-thirds vote of the board to dismiss a player from the league.

Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.

Jennifer Land
    Rules Counselor

The TL;DR answer:

"Rolling the ball on the approach isn't against USBC rules."

"Oil off the ball getting on the approach could be a violation of Rule 12. Politely inform the player why they shouldn't do it. If they keep on doing it, file a written complaint to the league and let it run it course and see how far it gets you."
    On the approach issue, if the league doesn't do anything you can appeal to your local USBC Board of Directors.

Chats: 32

Seems to me asking him to wipe his ball before each shot might be a good compromise on the second situation. Personally I doubt enough oil is likely to transfer to the approaches to be noticed anyway but it might silence the cry babies.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Seems to me asking him to wipe his ball before each shot might be a good compromise on the second situation. Personally I doubt enough oil is likely to transfer to the approaches to be noticed anyway but it might silence the cry babies.
    Also a good option.

Here's my theory. ANYTIME you can work something out with somebody, it's the best way to go, because once you start getting league officers or the local USBC involved, chances are you're going to get decisions and rulings that you're not going to like.

On rare occasions you may have to get others involved so that things are done the right way.

Just remember, once the can of worms is opened, it stays open.