Thread: The Incredible Changing Shot

Chats: 32

Default The Incredible Changing Shot

Five weeks ago one of the lane guys accidently knocked the lane machine over apparently damaging one of the jets. The shot that first night was darn near unplayable and basically a reverse block Pattern (lots of oil outside very little in the middle). After that the problem was supposedly fixed. The next night featured a shot that was heavy over the middle with still an OB on the outside. The following week more of the same only the OB had moved farther down the lane. Myself and a few others volunteered to come in and bowl on some test patterns to help fix the pattern and was told we are fixing it. Those patterns at least if you hit your spot you had a reasonable chance to get to the pocket. Last night the pattern was very heavy and long over the middle dry as a bone on the outsides setting up a truly wicked wet/dry. Out of 24 games on my set 3 were over 200 and this is a almost scratch high money league. I was second on the set with a 577. It wasn't just my set of lanes either as I seen quality bowlers post sets in the 530-550 range.

I can't imagine why a proprietor would choose to use his high end bowlers as guinea pigs but apparently that's the case here. After I finished I walked up to the front desk and the proprietor looks at me as says I think I screwed the shot up. I'm like you think lol.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I'd be so happy to bowl on stuff like that. Years ago the wick machine had major issues and week after week the league faced a different shot. (plus, they used different oils?? i don't remember)

Those house hacks started to whine, kick, and scream when bowling horrible. To be in the top 8 out of 40 bowlers most weeks, with a HOF at number 1, with a mix of regional guys and good local bowlers is the best feeling because at the time I was at 198 average. I finished the season dropping 3 pins, but I was so pleased to see these 210-220 house hacks dropping 10 to 20 plus sticks in average - most left that house the next year. Owning a spinner is like cheating......

Today, that same house has new lane surface and a new kegel machine. the last 3 or 4 years it has become very easy to score, averages have increased. The house as gotten crowded and leagues growing..... I hear 300's and/or 800's every week/month it seems... And I have left that house only subbing once a week.....
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    I'd be so happy to bowl on stuff like that. Years ago the wick machine had major issues and week after week the league faced a different shot. (plus, they used different oils?? i don't remember)

Those house hacks started to whine, kick, and scream when bowling horrible. To be in the top 8 out of 40 bowlers most weeks, with a HOF at number 1, with a mix of regional guys and good local bowlers is the best feeling because at the time I was at 198 average. I finished the season dropping 3 pins, but I was so pleased to see these 210-220 house hacks dropping 10 to 20 plus sticks in average - most left that house the next year. Owning a spinner is like cheating......

Today, that same house has new lane surface and a new kegel machine. the last 3 or 4 years it has become very easy to score, averages have increased. The house as gotten crowded and leagues growing..... I hear 300's and/or 800's every week/month it seems... And I have left that house only subbing once a week.....
    I personally didn't mind what we bowled on the first few weeks if you made a good shot you were rewarded if you didn't well the results weren't pretty. I'm pretty good at moving and finding a spot for myself. even though there was an ob outside and in I was ok with it even though there were plenty of others that weren't this week didn't reward good or bad shots it was just a crap shoot although I did better than most.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    ]I can't imagine why a proprietor would choose to use his high end bowlers as guinea pigs but apparently that's the case here.
    Actually I might could see a reason why, if you put out a new shot and just had the low end bowlers playing on it, You might not learn if your changes really made a difference, because those players might not really see the difference.

Where as the high end players would give you better feed back on the affect of the changes you made and where you might need to adjust it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I personally didn't mind what we bowled on the first few weeks if you made a good shot you were rewarded if you didn't well the results weren't pretty. I'm pretty good at moving and finding a spot for myself. even though there was an ob outside and in I was ok with it even though there were plenty of others that weren't this week didn't reward good or bad shots it was just a crap shoot although I did better than most.
    crap shoot out in a tourney will make everyone mad that's for sure. I bowled at a wood house and for some reason the shot across confused everyone one. Regional guys had sub or just made a little over 600 series. I forgot the reason, but guys made their voices heard and bowling bags being thrown. It was crazy....I don't know the winning cashing scores cause I packed up and drove home after my squads....

Anyway, I just followed suit when I saw the guys just throwing dead straight from the right corner. I saved face the last squad and I remember dripping in sweat, the AC wasn't working well too....

BTW, good making the best of what you guys had...
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

adjust and do better than everyone else , thats what matters not scores ,, if u win with a 190 u still win

A couple of our centers here went to a 42ft shot here, along with using much better oil.

These changes have allowed me to run up the 10 board all night long on 3 & 4 game sets, especially with my hybrids.