Thread: Pro Shop vs. Online for 1st time

Default Pro Shop vs. Online for 1st time

Hi, I am getting my first ball soon. So, I figured I should check stuff out. Since I am still in High School, and thus, poor, I have to be careful with spending. I have a budget of $200. I went into my local pro shop, and was unsure, as the basic stuff was expensive, the ball, shoes, and bag would have probably thrown off my budget a bit. Meanwhile online has it for much cheaper. For instance, my pro shop sells the Ebonite Cyclone for $135, and Brunswick Rhino for $125, not to mention the $50 shoes, which aren't even Dexters or anything, and the $30 kinda plain and boring bags. Meanwhile, online I found this http://www.cheapbowlingballs.com/Package-Deals-C377.aspx , where the whole thing is 135$, with quality stuff. I know I should help my pro shop and stuff. But the stuff there just isn't that good for the price. Help.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by idelarosa1 View Post
    Hi, I am getting my first ball soon. So, I figured I should check stuff out. Since I am still in High School, and thus, poor, I have to be careful with spending. I have a budget of $200. I went into my local pro shop, and was unsure, as the basic stuff was expensive, the ball, shoes, and bag would have probably thrown off my budget a bit. Meanwhile online has it for much cheaper. For instance, my pro shop sells the Ebonite Cyclone for $135, and Brunswick Rhino for $125, not to mention the $50 shoes, which aren't even Dexters or anything, and the $30 kinda plain and boring bags. Meanwhile, online I found this http://www.cheapbowlingballs.com/Pac...eals-C377.aspx , where the whole thing is 135$, with quality stuff. I know I should help my pro shop and stuff. But the stuff there just isn't that good for the price. Help.
    You appear to be at the point where you have to decide what to do, buy at the Proshop or online. Your other posts have pretty much covered your situation and options have been offered and discussed.

You appear to have done some research and formed some opinions: Online appeared to have quality stuff and the Proshop stuff there just isn't that good for the price.

A package for $135 online is okay, Just remember you still have to have it drilled which will be about $40-$50 added on to that.

Ultimately we can't decide for you, You have to weigh the options yourself and make the decision.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-22-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Glad you're getting a ball and all that. Yes, you should check things out. I worked as a bus boy during three years of my high school time and then worked at Inland Steel the following summer once I had graduated. Mowed lots of lawns and shoveled lots of snow, too.
    Bowling balls weren't very expensive, but inflation has caused them to rise a bit. If you compare the cost of a good bowling ball to the cost of a good baseball glove, you'll note that they both have been pretty close all these years. At least close; however, all you have to do with a baseball glove is break it in to have it fit better and bend in the right places and tighten up various leather straps, etc. With a bowling ball it's a bit different. Hopefully the pro shop guy will determine how the ball should be drilled up for you to fit and for you to do well with it. If you believe the fingers are too tight or the thumb is too loose, there aren't any leather straps or break in time to fix that kind of thing on your ball.
    Based upon my experience, I've developed a pretty darn good relationship with our local pro shop guy and I've checked him out versus other pro shop guys near me. I'm convinced that my guy is the best for me. Also, he prices things to at least be competitive with on-line vendors; however, there are charges for finger grips, thumb slugs and drilling plus the cost of the ball. In the end the price is well worth it as I get treated like a KING when I walk into his shop. I'm never disappointed. I often stop in and give him feedback, ask questions, etc. I often go in to get some adjustments. For example, the most critical hole in your ball will likely be the thumb hole, if you use one. I use one and so it is! I may go back once or twice to get that hole right. It's based upon experience, reaction and mostly feel. You'll learn how that goes once you decide to get better at this game of bowling.
    My best recommendation is to find yourself a good pro shop and develop a relationship. Grab on to some things called faith and trust. You'll be rewarded more than you know.
    My best of luck to you... Good bowling... Have fun...

Gotta go with djp on this one. You are at a place where you know very little other than the opinions offered by contributors here which means you are at a place where you know very little since you have no foundation for evaluate the contributions here. Developing a relationship with a pro shop is something that you cannot put a dollar sign on. If worse comes to worse, buy a ball sling for five bucks and forego the plain and boring bag. All you really need are a ball and a pair of shoes. Everything else is fluff. Get some guidance and start off right.

Chats: 0

Long ago, my backpack held my bowling ball and shoes.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Chats: 55

Around here, you can usually find a bag at goodwill or that type of store really cheap. Don't spend good money if not needed. Invest in the fit and the relationship of a PSO to start. It will pay for itself in the longrun.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Cranker

If you buy online, you'll still pay $50-60 for the drilling which negates quite a bit of the online savings. So I would also say find a good local pro shop guy and ask if he can match online prices or at least give you a discount. Also after you get your ball, don't be afraid to ask questions and to bring your ball in for adjustments. Grip feel is really important and can take a few adjustments until you get it just right.

Cranker

pro shop maybe they will watch you throw a few and drill it for you and recommend
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

There are things that are fine to purchase online...rosin bags, tape, bags, small accessories, etc.; but when it comes to bowling balls you have such a wide variety that it may be tough to simply pick one without sound advice. A quick search on bowlingball.com shows that there are currently 262 bowling ball options on the market (655 total less 393 polyester options). Combine this with the fact of the multitude of drilling options and it becomes difficult for the bowler to determine what is best for them.

As discussed on the site, if you go to a Pro Shop you have the opportunity to talk with someone who can watch you bowl and help you determine the best option (this will also likely have you end up with a ball that you can build an arsenal around over time - doing this on a budget does not allow for much room to replace bowling balls in an arsenal). Also discussed is that you will be charged for drilling when you take this ball to a pro-shop, probably looking at $50, and most likely this doesn't include finger grips. Get the ball at a pro shop, buy the shoes online (bowlingball.com $29.99), and then determine with the rest of your budget if you can get a new bag or if you need to find another option (used or backpack).
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird