Thread: Mark Roth

Default Mark Roth

I was watching some early video of Mark Roth vs Pete Weber. Was Roth considered a cranker back then? He had a wild delivery for a plastic ball!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    I was watching some early video of Mark Roth vs Pete Weber. Was Roth considered a cranker back then? He had a wild delivery for a plastic ball!
    Yes Mark Roth was among the first bowlers to crank the ball.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

He was absolutely a cranker, and he is considered the father of power bowling.

When Mark was on his game there was NOBODY that could beat him.

He was also considered one of the best (if not the best) spare shooter in his time.

Chats: 32

Mark did things with a ball that simply weren't even considered possible during that era. If injuries hadn't slowed him down he would have probably been the best ever.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I love the style of the old school pros. Earl was super smooth also. Dick Weber had a rougher release, i always thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Mark did things with a ball that simply weren't even considered possible during that era. If injuries hadn't slowed him down he would have probably been the best ever.
    Isn't THAT the truth!

Between the injuries, a stroke and now triple bypass surgery, his legacy could have been even greater.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I tried and was close to a Roth delivery back then. I used a Manhattan rubber ball and a plastic Bonanza...lol He was my Idle at the time, From my era.....I still watch old vids of him when I'm bored and Holman also due to his temper....lol

He was from Brooklyn and I actually shot action against him once in a while, along with a few others.

My friend Tommy Sharker...(Shakey) actually out cranked him, Wish I knew where he was now....
    Last edited by LOUVIT; 10-27-2017 at 05:05 PM.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Roth was a lot of fun to watch back in the day. I often watch his matches on Youtube. His 7-10 conversion on TV was awesome.

High Roller
    Chats: 0

I ran the youth bowling league in the early 2000s and Mark Roth came in to run our bowling alley. Talked to him every week. Nice guy. He wasn't there long, maybe 6 months but that is a different story.