Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new arsenal of bowling balls

Default Looking for a new arsenal of bowling balls

Hey guys, so eventually I'm probably going to be getting one new bag of bowling balls, as my current bag is 14 pounds, I'd be moving up to 15 pounds .

I'm a bit of a Storm guy, so I'd prefer to stick around with their products.

I would probably be getting 4 balls. What balls should I get?

If I had a urethane like a Pitch Black (or a urethane offsite like a Hammer Black, that's pure urethane..) and something like the Match Pearl, would those balls contrast in performance noticeably?

One problem I had with my bag is I made the mistake of getting a Crux Pearl to tag along with my Crux.. Because my rev rate isn't that great, the balls seem pretty darn similar. I could almost always use one over the other on any condition.. It's not a game-changer regarding which one to use. Although the Crux hooks earlier, the pearlized version gets downlane just a heir more.

So here's what the bag outline could be:

-Polyester spare
    -Urethane (possibly, if there's a good one for dry lanes)
    -Pearl (for medium oily lanes)
    -Solid (for heavy or fresh lanes)

Just looking for suggestions to fill in these four ball spots. I already emailed Storm, but I'm just looking for your guys opinions. Thanks!

Chats: 32

Low rev rates and urethane is a bad mix so nix that idea.

tzone or maxim
    Match pearl
    Intense
    Torrent

you could replace the intense with the new soniq (weaker than the intense) or the torrent with Phaze II (stronger than the torrent) also.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Agree with Aymers about the urethane. If you were building a 6-ball arsenal you may be able to justify having urethane, but with a 4-ball arsenal it just seems like too limiting of an option.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 2

While most urethane isn't great for lower rev or lower speed bowlers, I still think there is a time and place for one in every bowler's bag. Personally, I love my Roto Hot Cell, but I'm also a high speed, high rev kinda guy. I have seen a few lower rev guys throw it though and have success. I think this is mainly due to the asymmetric core myself. If you're looking for a 3-ball, all around arsenal (minus plastic), here's what I would go with:

Rotogrip Showoff--really strong cover, matched with a weaker symmetrical core. Will get down the lane, but will recover strong. It's a very versatile ball, and I think you'd enjoy it. (other options: Rotogrip Wreck-Em, Storm Phaze II, Storm SonIQ)
    Rotogrip Hustle INK--Symmetrical, higher RG. This is going to be the ball to throw when the lanes break down. It will help you get the ball down the lane, and still save some energy on the back end. (Storm Matchup)
    Storm Code Black--Heavy Oil, Asymmetrical ball. This would be one if you absolutely need something to hook, this is it. (Rotogrip No Rules Exist, Rotogrip No Rules, Storm Intense, Storm Code Red, Storm Timeless)

Honestly though, a good PSO would love to help you pick out the balls you'd need. It's hard without watching you throw a ball, know your rev rate, axis tilt, axis rotation. Alex Hoskins and Chad McLean are awesome to work with at Storm HQ and have helped me not only with choosing my arsenal, but with layouts as well. Alex actually suggested I go 5 x 4 x 2 on my Showoff that just showed up today. Don't have time to punch it out until next weekend though.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Here's my suggestion:
    Spares - Storm Mix
    Drier lanes - Hustle INK
    Medium lanes - Storm Marvel Pearl or Hy-Road (hybrid)
    Fresh/Heavy - Storm Torrent or iQ (solid)

When drilled properly, the original BTU will out perform any urethane ball out there. ESPECIALLY if you're low speed and rev.

If you are willing to learn to flatten your hand out and throw a strike ball straight:

Storm Sure Lock
    Storm Intense
    Storm Code Black
    Storm Match Pearl (Hyroad Pearl may serve you well here)

If not:

Storm Intense
    Storm Code Black
    Storm Match Pearl (Hyroad Pearl if you want)
    Storm Mix as spare ball

It's honestly tough to suggest an arsenal without seeing you bowl. Different balls will fit into arsenals in different spots for different people.

Take the Code Black for instance..... I have it as a 3 ball in my bag, well really a 2 ball as my strong solid doesn't see much daylight. I usually can take it out in maybe the second or sometimes even 3rd game but a guy on my team on the pattern we are on now pulls his out of the bag first. His angles are fairly straight and his rev rate allows him to play it early (low rev guy). If I picked my Code Black up and threw that same line it would run Brooklyn but if I put angle on it like I typically play it won't hook at then end of the pattern. Once the head oil is worn off a little then it comes out and I can throw it anywhere I want and it will come back. By that time the other guy has to put his Code Black away.

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    When drilled properly, the original BTU will out perform any urethane ball out there. ESPECIALLY if you're low speed and rev.
    This ball has caught my interest. I am working towards building an all Storm/Roto bag BUT this is looking light a better option than urethane.. If I end up pulling out urethane on a shorter pattern I wouldn't want to mess up my teammates by having them bowl in my carry down. This I wouldn't have carry down issues... But it seems like a ball I can move right of somebody else's carry down if they are playing urethane and not have to worry about it grabbing those outside boards so violently and running through the nose like my current equipment did last night when I tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    This ball has caught my interest. I am working towards building an all Storm/Roto bag BUT this is looking light a better option than urethane.. If I end up pulling out urethane on a shorter pattern I wouldn't want to mess up my teammates by having them bowl in my carry down. This I wouldn't have carry down issues... But it seems like a ball I can move right of somebody else's carry down if they are playing urethane and not have to worry about it grabbing those outside boards so violently and running through the nose like my current equipment did last night when I tried it.
    When I'm in a tournament that has a limit on how many balls you can have, the BTU is ALWAYS in my bag. I have it drilled pin up over the ring finger at 85x4.5x35, and it is very slow to respond with very little hook, but hits like a truck.

It also takes to surface changes extremely well so that you can make adjustments before hand.

Personally, I don't change my surfaces. I use everything OOB, with only 1 exception.

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    When I'm in a tournament that has a limit on how many balls you can have, the BTU is ALWAYS in my bag. I have it drilled pin up over the ring finger at 85x4.5x35, and it is very slow to respond with very little hook, but hits like a truck.

It also takes to surface changes extremely well so that you can make adjustments before hand.

Personally, I don't change my surfaces. I use everything OOB, with only 1 exception.
    Ehh, I dont mess with surface much either. I have my stronger solid sitting at a more aggressive surface but because my PSO recommended i try something but than that my others are a OOB... The BTU is high on my list when it comes to a urethane or urethane like ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast