Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learned my lesson...

Chats: 10

Default Learned my lesson...

Learned my lesson, I will always keep a dull ball in my bag! The other night I decided to break out my Grudge Hybrid as I haven't used it for a while. As a result, I took out my Show Off. The lanes were a little heavier on the oil and could of used my Show off. My Grudge Hybrid just doesn't do the trick any more. Also got my Pitbull resurfaced, Can't wait till through that tomorrow morning. Love that ball!!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

i've learned enough to know I haven't learned squat.......

Chats: 4

Bowling is an ongoing learning experience you will always
    be learning something new every time you go bowling as
    you will probably never learn everything about the game.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Don't hurt your self throwing as hard as you can at the 7-10. I hurt my arm and missed a month once. Take 9 and live to bowl another day.

Chats: 10

I also learned, no matter what, don’t hurry yourself. Often got matched with a slow bowler. When he was com8bg up, I hurried to get my ball s9 I wouldn’t have to wait for his 30 second approach. As a result of hurrying, I threw a bad shot and cost me a good game. Was working n the front 7 and ended it.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    Learned my lesson, I will always keep a dull ball in my bag! The other night I decided to break out my Grudge Hybrid as I haven't used it for a while. As a result, I took out my Show Off. The lanes were a little heavier on the oil and could of used my Show off. My Grudge Hybrid just doesn't do the trick any more. Also got my Pitbull resurfaced, Can't wait till through that tomorrow morning. Love that ball!!
    I just punched up a Show Off on Saturday and threw it yesterday for a few games to see what it was going to do. Went 5 x 4 x 2 on it hoping for some length. While I did get length, holy back end reaction batman! It gets to the end of the pattern and turns with authority! It's definitely going into the tournament bag, but it's far too much for my home center. Looks like I stick with urethane still lol
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    I also learned, no matter what, don’t hurry yourself. Often got matched with a slow bowler. When he was com8bg up, I hurried to get my ball s9 I wouldn’t have to wait for his 30 second approach. As a result of hurrying, I threw a bad shot and cost me a good game. Was working n the front 7 and ended it.
    I did that a couple weeks ago and instantly regretted it.. Single pin spare that I knew was a miss as soon as I let the ball go. Guy literally stands on the approach for like 30 seconds before he starts his approach. We started to walk up at the same time and I will usually back off and let the other bowler go....... But i wasn't about to wait all day to shoot this spare, as soon as I let the ball go I thought to myself, "yup, you should have waited".

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    I did that a couple weeks ago and instantly regretted it.. Single pin spare that I knew was a miss as soon as I let the ball go. Guy literally stands on the approach for like 30 seconds before he starts his approach. We started to walk up at the same time and I will usually back off and let the other bowler go....... But i wasn't about to wait all day to shoot this spare, as soon as I let the ball go I thought to myself, "yup, you should have waited".
    And most people wonder why I give myself a 2 lane courtesy lol. I've had this happen to me more times than I can count. There is a guy that bowls in my house that has a 4 step approach, and between his 2nd and 3rd steps he takes a 5 second pause. Drives me crazy lol. Then there is another that needs 4 lanes on both sides of him before he will even step onto the approach. Every house has at least 1 of these guys though. I just give myself the lane courtesy and wait for a second. Doesn't slow my pair down, and I make better shots because of it.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    And most people wonder why I give myself a 2 lane courtesy lol. I've had this happen to me more times than I can count. There is a guy that bowls in my house that has a 4 step approach, and between his 2nd and 3rd steps he takes a 5 second pause. Drives me crazy lol. Then there is another that needs 4 lanes on both sides of him before he will even step onto the approach. Every house has at least 1 of these guys though. I just give myself the lane courtesy and wait for a second. Doesn't slow my pair down, and I make better shots because of it.
    There is also a guy who walks up to the foul line, bends over and stands there for about 15 seconds before starting his two step approach lol. Different strokes for different folks but man, I'm trying to get out of here before 10:30 at night lol. I usually do that as well if there is somebody on the approach 2 lanes down and I see them out of the corner of my eye, I'll wait for them to start there approach and then do my thing and it usually works out well.

Another thing that drives me insane is when you're on the approach and the lane next to you drops a pin so they have to re-rack.. Some people are courteous and will wait until you make your shot to hit the reset button (I ALWAYS do) but some people will literally wait until you are on step two of your approach and hit the button.... I've learned to Balk on those and reset and it usually pays off.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    There is also a guy who walks up to the foul line, bends over and stands there for about 15 seconds before starting his two step approach lol. Different strokes for different folks but man, I'm trying to get out of here before 10:30 at night lol. I usually do that as well if there is somebody on the approach 2 lanes down and I see them out of the corner of my eye, I'll wait for them to start there approach and then do my thing and it usually works out well.

Another thing that drives me insane is when you're on the approach and the lane next to you drops a pin so they have to re-rack.. Some people are courteous and will wait until you make your shot to hit the reset button (I ALWAYS do) but some people will literally wait until you are on step two of your approach and hit the button.... I've learned to Balk on those and reset and it usually pays off.
    I have no problem with the guys who take “too long” on the approach. I don’t even have a problem with the “start, stop, go” bowlers. There is only one of this kind where I bowl and we all know he’s going to pause after the first step. It’s not a problem, but there are some who gripe about it anyway. With the first kind, I used to enjoy being on the same pair with Ed, a very methodical bowler with an elaborate preshot routine that he used on every delivery. I always figured that it gave me an advantage when my opponent, it was a singles league, would get bothered by Ed “wasting time”.
    I should say that as a coach, and I don’t see it very often in youth bowler, I do not encourage bowlers to spend more than a couple seconds in the set up position. Since I’m dealing with kids, the problem is getting them to take a millisecond to focus instead of a nanosecond.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast