Thread: Out of the Box Finish or add Polish

Default Out of the Box Finish or add Polish

I am not sure if there was a previous post on this/these topic(s), but my question is do you as a bowler prefer out of the box finish or do you apply additional sanding (higher or lower) and/or polish to the new ball you purchase?

Reasoning behind this is because I have a DV8 Creed, but it has a sharp angular motion on the THS 36-38ft that I bowl on; the lanes are rather too dry for Out of the Box finish. Without taking too much reaction away from the ball, what is best that I apply to the ball to give it a slightly longer length? Do I go to 1000-grit or apply a polish to the 500-grit out of the box finish?

This is my first new ball in over 5-6 years and took 4 years off. So a little rusty on the maintenance and adjustment of a bowling ball.

Thank you to all and good bowling!

Mike

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by MRomeroMGCER300 View Post
    I am not sure if there was a previous post on this/these topic(s), but my question is do you as a bowler prefer out of the box finish or do you apply additional sanding (higher or lower) and/or polish to the new ball you purchase?
    There's nothing magic about the out of box surface, you adjust the surface as the conditions warrant. If the O.O.B. surface works for you, then maintain it. If it doesn't give you the reaction you want, then you change it.

One suggestion is when getting a new ball before you ever roll it, Change the surface to anything. Use the sanding steps for the OOB or anything else that suits your fancy .

Because you'll never get the surface back to exactly the way it came from the factory, So use a surface you can repeat

Reasoning behind this is because I have a DV8 Creed, but it has a sharp angular motion on the THS 36-38ft that I bowl on; the lanes are rather too dry for Out of the Box finish. Without taking too much reaction away from the ball, what is best that I apply to the ball to give it a slightly longer length? Do I go to 1000-grit or apply a polish to the 500-grit out of the box finish?

This is my first new ball in over 5-6 years and took 4 years off. So a little rusty on the maintenance and adjustment of a bowling ball.

Thank you to all and good bowling!

Mike
    The DV8 Creed is polished to begin with, The OOB is 500 Siaair with Crown Factory Compound added.

If the ball is too angular, you could try hitting it with 1000 or just use 500 and no polish. Dulling it down a little can even the reaction out some, You'll just have to try and see which is the best.

Also at 36'-38' that's kind of short oil, How are you playing it?
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-30-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

I'd suggest rather than trying to resurface the entire ball just hit it by hand with a 4k pad nock some of the polish off. That will help even out the reaction a bit. If you've got much hand that ball is probably too much for 38 foot pattern. The creed is a very strong angular ball anything you do to it that reduces the backend will make it hook sooner.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I was talking with Jon Van Hees on Tuesday, and he was saying that the Creed is the best ball we (Brunswick family) have right now. It's so good, it's silly.

As far as changing the surface, my own preference is to not change any of them from OOB.

The only ball I have where the surface was changed is the Pitbull. My driller/ coach said that this ball is far too strong OOB, so he made it 3000 w/polish.

Anyhow, all 12 balls in my arsenal have different drillings, which give them very different looks and reactions, and instead of changing a surface, I change my ball and my approach.

Yes. I am very fortunate to have a large arsenal so that I can change when I need to. But that's just a personal preference, and everybody certainly has their own way and opinion.

Dang y'all bowl on a short house shot.. We are just coming off of a short pattern in league but out normal house shot is 42ft..... Either way I would try some polish on it and see what it does. Not a polish with abrasives in it though because it takes you down in grit, like Storm's step 2 takes me down to a 1500 grit... Use something like Reacta Shine or whatever one you choose without abrasives... That should get you down the lane a little further before it makes its move. It will still be angular though.. 500-1000 w/o polish will smooth you out but I'd just worry about the ball burning up and leaving you flat 10s all night... I would say call ahead of time and get them to put down a fresh pair for you (stripped backends and all) and go out there with everything you need to tweak the surface and play around with it and find out what you and the lanes like. Gotta know before any league play because you only got a little bit of time in practice to tweak the surface and I'm usually spending that time trying to find a good line to start on lol.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Dang y'all bowl on a short house shot.. We are just coming off of a short pattern in league but out normal house shot is 42ft..... Either way I would try some polish on it and see what it does. Not a polish with abrasives in it though because it takes you down in grit, like Storm's step 2 takes me down to a 1500 grit... Use something like Reacta Shine or whatever one you choose without abrasives...
    Reacta Shine has micro abrasives and depending on base grit of the surface it will finish a ball to about 1500 grit. Reacta-shine is great for hand application and touch-up work.

Step 2 contains a diminishing abrasive that will resurface the ball while it polishes. Which will take a ball sanded at 320 and take it up to about 1500. Also Step 2 is best used with a spinner.

I would say call ahead of time and get them to put down a fresh pair for you (stripped backends and all).
    There are very few houses will do that for you and of the few that do, even fewer would do it for free.

Gotta know before any league play because you only got a little bit of time in practice to tweak the surface and I'm usually spending that time trying to find a good line to start on lol.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-07-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Good luck finding a center that is willing to strip and oil for someone coming in for open bowling. The only time I have encountered anything related to that is when I have practiced on a sport shot with my nationals team; granted when we do that we will also pay a significant fee for this extra work.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Well I guess I've been lucky because the two local centers here will do it free of charge.. The particular house I bowl at will put down whatever pattern you want (PBA patterns as well) as long as you call them ahead of time and let them know. This place does have a lot of league bowlers and a lot of the "open bowlers" are actually league bowlers up there practicing so maybe that's why they are so willing... When I first started at this place this service was offered to me w/o asking for it... Stinks to hear other places don't take care of their bowlers quite as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ALazySavage View Post
    granted when we do that we will also pay a significant fee for this extra work.
    How much of a significant fee did you have to pay for this "extra work"??? Granted I've never touched a machine to put oil on the lane, any times I've seen em do it, it seems like its less than a 10 minute type of deal.