Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: polish vs compound

Default polish vs compound

What will be the difference in reaction using one or the other ? Many companies make both.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

compounds and polishes are basically the same, just liquid abrasives. The compounds usually have the coarser abrasives and the polishes the finer grits.

As for the ball reactions after using them, it all depends on the underlying grits used before they are applied.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Many companies make two versions of polishes as well.
    Often the compounds may shine up the ball some, but others leave the ball pretty dull depending upon the grit.
    Some of the companies have an extender polish which is one where the finish is likely around 4000 to 5000 grit and the ball will shine nicely.
    The extender will likely have your ball go 2 to 4 feet further down the lane before it makes its move toward the pocket.
    Others provide a factory polish which will have a bit of coarser grit where the finish is likely around 2500 grit and it shines up pretty well, too.

Chats: 32

The others covered it pretty well usually compound will have more surface than polish but a lot depends on the underlying grit. I like compound myself as it seems to give a little more midlane read.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The others covered it pretty well usually compound will have more surface than polish but a lot depends on the underlying grit. I like compound myself as it seems to give a little more midlane read.
    I agree here.

Polish is for the skid/flip reaction, whereas, compound created a little more bite on the midlane.

My 2 hybrids have compound and they both have the best read from front to back.

So, proper steps would be sand, compound and then polish depending on the reaction wanted ? My stuff is DV8 and Radical. Their "polished " balls say 500 siaair and compound. If I want to increase length and back end then just add polish over the compound ?

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    So, proper steps would be sand, compound and then polish depending on the reaction wanted ? My stuff is DV8 and Radical. Their "polished " balls say 500 siaair and compound. If I want to increase length and back end then just add polish over the compound ?
    No you should use one or the other. Just realize compound will generally give you more midlane read than the polish.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

You could do that, but you'd just be wasting compound. For my high-gloss balls I go 1000/2000/4000 Abralon then Powerhouse Factory Finish Polish, then Powerhouse Extender. Then every 2-3 weeks all I need to do is hit it quick with some extender to keep it well polished.

This is the answer I got from Brunswick. I would like to thank them because I've been asking them Radical, and DV8 a lot of questions lately (and been getting answers ).

Hi John,

You will get two different reaction depending on what surface you start with when you use each polish. If you take the factory polish after you have used the compound, you will get a much cleaner reaction and less hook as the ball is smoothed out more. If you put factory polish over 500 grit, there are still lines under the polish, so you will still see a little mid lane reaction and a little more over all hook.

This is the answer I got from Brunswick. I would like to thank them because I've been asking them Radical, and DV8 a lot of questions lately (and been getting answers ).

Hi John,

You will get two different reaction depending on what surface you start with when you use each polish. If you take the factory polish after you have used the compound, you will get a much cleaner reaction and less hook as the ball is smoothed out more. If you put factory polish over 500 grit, there are still lines under the polish, so you will still see a little mid lane reaction and a little more over all hook.
    As I've said in other posts, this just confirms it.

Polished balls are skid flip, whereas those with compound read a little sooner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast