Thread: Straighter is greater.................

Chats: 0

Default Straighter is greater.................

On league night I started the first game using my reactive ball and putting the arch of my right foot on board 28. I kept leaving pocket hit 7 pin. The trouble was I wasn't picking them up. I ended up with 5 opens and a 144 game. So I decided to go straighter putting my arch of my right foot on board 21. Plus I had less cup on my hand. I ended up bowling a 182 with one open the second game and a 186 one open third game. No pocket 7s. The first game I also had a pocket 7 10 leave. So straighter was greater for me after the first game. My memory of Norm Duke saying that kicked in and I was glad I went along with it. I am left handed by the way.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Whenever I can, I try to go straight up the 10 and stay there. For the most part I only have to do a ball change.

If I have to go a little deeper I can certainly do so.

It all depends on what the pattern and oil is giving me.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    On league night I started the first game using my reactive ball and putting the arch of my right foot on board 28. I kept leaving pocket hit 7 pin. The trouble was I wasn't picking them up. I ended up with 5 opens and a 144 game. So I decided to go straighter putting my arch of my right foot on board 21. Plus I had less cup on my hand. I ended up bowling a 182 with one open the second game and a 186 one open third game. No pocket 7s. The first game I also had a pocket 7 10 leave. So straighter was greater for me after the first game. My memory of Norm Duke saying that kicked in and I was glad I went along with it. I am left handed by the way.
    Straighter isn't always greater lol. But, it will at least get you closer. A lot of times, those ringing 10's (or 7's for you lefties) is simply due to entry angle. Too little angle, wrap the 6 (4 pin) right around the corner. Too great of an angle, blow right past the 9 (8 for your lefties). It's a game of geometry and physics, with some added luck and skill in there as well. If you're leaving 7 pins, try to increase that entry angle a little bit.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Straighter isn't always greater lol. But, it will at least get you closer. A lot of times, those ringing 10's (or 7's for you lefties) is simply due to entry angle. Too little angle, wrap the 6 (4 pin) right around the corner. Too great of an angle, blow right past the 9 (8 for your lefties). It's a game of geometry and physics, with some added luck and skill in there as well. If you're leaving 7 pins, try to increase that entry angle a little bit.
    I forgot that I left out the part that in my release my ball was bellyed out between the 5 and 10 boards at the break point. It was not a straight ball just not as much angle as having my sliding foot on board 28. Sometimes my ball got away from me and went out to about the 3 board but still came back to the pocket. Sometimes that would leave a 10 pin. Being a lefty I would rather have a 10 pin left standing then a 7 pin anyway.
    Last edited by Hammer; 11-13-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Pin Crusher

At times I have had success with a strong ball going right up 10 trying to throw it straight. Throw it hard and the side weight will cause the ball to flip just enough to roll through the pins for high flush, flush and mixers.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    At times I have had success with a strong ball going right up 10 trying to throw it straight. Throw it hard and the side weight will cause the ball to flip just enough to roll through the pins for high flush, flush and mixers.
    Sometimes a strong ball isn't always best also. You have to think about surface for this one. If you take a ball, say, a polished ball, and are carrying very well with it for a game, but all the sudden you start to noticed that the ball just isn't coming into the hole the same way, or its starting to jump and come in high flush, but if you try to move left, the ball never recovers. This is where surface comes into play. Myself, if I start to see that kind of reaction, I will usually move a few boards left and grab something equal but with a 2000-4000 grit solid cover. Usually will grab enough and still have enough on the back end. You can also do this the opposite as well. Start out with a solid, once you see it start leaving corner pins (usually caused by it burning off too much energy and coming in a bit weak), I will grab something pearl or polished and move a couple boards outside. It's a weird game, but that's also why I have similar drill layouts on both solid and pearl equipment.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands