Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Timmyb's scores

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

There's a video I posted on here some time back about just how fast a matte surface ball loses its finish. It's the same effect as burnishing in machining. If you continually rub on a surface, it's going to smooth out. Goes to figure why ball companies are telling people buying solid balls to resurface every 9-12 games. 2000 somehow sounds like a rough surface ball in this day and age, but most don't understand exactly how fine a finish that is to begin with, and how easy it is to make it go away.

I'n told if you polish the ball, all you need to maintain after that is to clean after use. That is from a very well respected PSO in my area.

https://youtu.be/1AfsNDCInlk
    Last edited by Timmyb; 10-30-2017 at 09:20 PM.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Very informative, thank you and good luck tonight!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    There's a video I posted on here some time back about just how fast a matte surface ball loses its finish. It's the same effect as burnishing in machining. If you continually rub on a surface, it's going to smooth out. Goes to figure why ball companies are telling people buying solid balls to resurface every 9-12 games. 2000 somehow sounds like a rough surface ball in this day and age, but most don't understand exactly how fine a finish that is to begin with, and how easy it is to make it go away.

I'n told if you polish the ball, all you need to maintain after that is to clean after use. That is from a very well respected PSO in my area.

https://youtu.be/1AfsNDCInlk
    I've never heard of anything like that, although Mo Pinel knows his stuff. It does make sense that it would lose a little bit of surface and smooth out some, but not sure if it's really that much honestly. I stopped following Storm's guidelines a few years ago as doing so, I was actually seeing more cracks in my equipment. I don't think I've really ever resurfaced any of my balls (Phaze II, Timeless mainly). I do however put a touch of polish on my Timeless from time to time to get some length out of it when it wears off.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Bowling This Month had a really good article about this topic; "Some Thoughts on Bowling Ball Surface Wear and Lane Oils". Essentially they brought in equipment during a league to test the surface of the ball throughout the series, the changes were rather severe during the three games. Essentially a ball that had an average surface of 2725 grit at the start and by shot 31 the ball was at 4550 grit.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Pin Crusher

It worked!

222/205/236 = 663. First week this year I've hit three 200 games in a row. First time I've been above my average. Second or third 600, and only my third clean game of the year. Unfortunately, all three opens I had tonight were inexcusable (9 pin, 10 pin, and chopped the 6-10 out of a 3-6-10). We had a little "talk" with the manager after bowling tonight about the 16 9-pins the were left on lane 10. I'll call that an alignment issue. Average back to 201. Yay, only 14 pins to go.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.

Great set Tim! I guess the morale to this story is the polish helped.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    I've never heard of anything like that, although Mo Pinel knows his stuff. It does make sense that it would lose a little bit of surface and smooth out some, but not sure if it's really that much honestly. I stopped following Storm's guidelines a few years ago as doing so, I was actually seeing more cracks in my equipment. I don't think I've really ever resurfaced any of my balls (Phaze II, Timeless mainly). I do however put a touch of polish on my Timeless from time to time to get some length out of it when it wears off.
    I'll agree with Mo (never a bad idea) on this. I think it's a bigger deal on equipment that uses more surface and heavy oil ball tend to be the most effected.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Pin Crusher

Tuesday night - 195/259/189 = 643. One open in the first game, but only two strikes as well. Just couldn't carry anything. Started second with 7, got bit by a lazy 10. Thought 3 would be good, started with front three, and then the wheels fell off. Kept throwing wide on the left lane, and paid for it. 202 average.

Pin Crusher

Thought I posted this in the AM, but don't see it.

Tuesday Scratch--241/235/243 = 719. Finally felt at ease with the new ball. Still did not have a clean game (one split in each game). Lost my point in the last game to a well-thrown 290, but still won total by over 100 pins. Average now 206.

I replied to your first post and that disappeared too. Nice set!

Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast