Thread: Revs with a symmetric versus a asymmetric ball.........

Chats: 0

Default Revs with a symmetric versus a asymmetric ball.........

If I set up and throw a symmetric ball and then set up and throw a asymmetric ball throwing both the exact same way will the asymmetric ball have more revs because of the center heavy weight block versus the surface heavy symmetric ball? The different weight blocks compare to an ice skater with arms extended versus arms brought in close to the body. The latter will spin faster. Does this work this way with the two bowling balls with larger and smaller weight blocks?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    If I set up and throw a symmetric ball and then set up and throw a asymmetric ball throwing both the exact same way will the asymmetric ball have more revs because of the center heavy weight block versus the surface heavy symmetric ball? The different weight blocks compare to an ice skater with arms extended versus arms brought in close to the body. The latter will spin faster. Does this work this way with the two bowling balls with larger and smaller weight blocks?
    I think you’re confusing symmetry with RG. A low RG ball will rev up faster than a high RG ball. Whether it is symmetric or asymmetric has nothing to do with it.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I think you’re confusing symmetry with RG. A low RG ball will rev up faster than a high RG ball. Whether it is symmetric or asymmetric has nothing to do with it.
    Exactly right. Revs are purely a result of the release of the bowler. The core will determine when the ball revs, not how much.

The low RG should rev up faster, but lose energy faster also. Rotational inertia in action. If you can get a higher RG ball to rev it should hold energy longer down the lane.

Just a guess from a physics teacher... coverstock will have a lot to do with the energy storage as well.