Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you like Woods lanes better?

Chats: 2315

I like synthetics the best, then AMF HPL's(I believe there's a couple kinds, I like the darker ones) the best. Wood is okay but there's just too much friction potential. More than anything, I prefer the Pro Anvilanes.

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

i bowl in 2 different leagues my one league is on wood the other is on synthetic. i prefer the synthetic because i dont have to put as much speed on the ball. the wood lanes i have a problem with consistency because of the speed i have to put on the ball, to keep it from hooking across the house.
    synthetic ball old- track storm 16#
    wood ball- zoom plastic 14#

I guess I'll have to get more time on the synthetics. I went last Sunday and did a little better, after slowing it down and rolling a little straighter.

I'll be on wood in the summer league, so I don't want to get to comfortable on the synthetics.
    Talk To Your Ball, Listen To The Lane!

RH, HG 299, HS 714

In The Bag
    Energy - Gravity - Bite - Maxim

I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

I grew up with wood lanes, and now there are few, if any houses remaining that have them. Eventually they will all disappear. With insurance costs there will never be any more built. I miss the sound created in a wood house when the ball hits the pins, the smell of the old houses, etc. It brings out alot of memories. The game has evolved, however and with technology today, the equipment surpassed the lane surfaces totally giving the game a different look and appeal.
    INFO:Avg. N/A Righty,Stroker,Equipment Roto Grip,Brunswick,Ebonite 15lbs.

I just can't get used to the sound of the ball hitting the synthetic lane, and then no sound as it rolls toward the pins.

jaws1945, what do you mean because of Insurance cost..........
    Last edited by ebowler; 04-26-2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Talk To Your Ball, Listen To The Lane!

RH, HG 299, HS 714

In The Bag
    Energy - Gravity - Bite - Maxim

I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 1

I've bowled exclusively on wood lanes up till a few years ago, when I started bowling in my friend's company league which is on synthetics. Adjusting to changing conditions on wood is much more instinctive for me. Usually it's a 2-1 or 3-2 move to the left as the night progresses, or a switch to less aggressive equipment. With synthetics I usually have problems adjusting. Most of it is trying to determine whether the lane is burning out, or I'm hitting carrydown, That being said, I average about the same on both surfaces, but I'm a lot more consistent on wood.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ebowler View Post
    I just can't get used to the sound of the ball hitting the synthetic lane, and then no sound as it rolls toward the pins.

jaws1945, what do you mean because of Insurance cost..........
    I was talking about fire insurance. The wood surfaces used a lacquer based oil to cover the lanes which is highly flammable. The new oils used on synthetics do not pose the significant fire hazard. The insurance companies raised the cost of insurance for owners using the oil and that put a strain on proprietors.
    INFO:Avg. N/A Righty,Stroker,Equipment Roto Grip,Brunswick,Ebonite 15lbs.

Chats: 1

Wow, i didn't know there were such a thing, they all look like wood to me......

Yeah lefty, the wood lanes typically have a darker yellow color to them. synthetics are more whitish or a lighter color. I grew up on wood lanes, and then switched to synthetic after high school. I bowl fine on both, some shots are just easier than others though.
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

KP,

I learned to bowl on wood lanes. I will always have a sentimental feeling about them. I now bowl at house with synthetic lanes. I think that wood lanes require more knowledge of shotmaking because each lane has it's own individual characteristics. This is not so with the newer synthetic lanes. I just like to bowl so it does not matter me whether the surface is wood or synthetic.

Mike Manning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12