Thread: Bowling Ball Sanding Pads

Chats: 0

Default Bowling Ball Sanding Pads

I currently have sanding pads of the following grits, 500, 2000, and 3000. How long do these last before they need to be replaced?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by skfboiler View Post
    I currently have sanding pads of the following grits, 500, 2000, and 3000. How long do these last before they need to be replaced?
    Mo Pinel suggested to use a abralon pad for about 10 balls, then remark the grit to the next smoothest grit. Do 10 more balls with it as the smoother grit, then throw it away.

But a lot depends on the coverstock type and the pressure you use, whether used on a spinner or by hand, wet or dry etc.

If your really heavy handed, you might get only 5-6 balls out of one.

Siaair pads last a bit longer than abralon. Abralon 10, Siaair 20
    Last edited by bowl1820; 11-28-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thanks for the response. I use my 2000 pad the most and I can tell it does not perform like it use to.

Chats: 2

It is a long read and you need to be a subscriber, but Bowling This Month had an article by Ken Kasprzak on Surface management in May of 2015. Basically what he found was a 500 grit abralon pad using light pressure sanded a ball to a surface of about 700. Using the same pad a second time achieved a surface of only about 2300. Vacuuming or rinsing the pad did not help much at all

Quote Originally Posted by Davidjr113 View Post
    It is a long read and you need to be a subscriber, but Bowling This Month had an article by Ken Kasprzak on Surface management in May of 2015. Basically what he found was a 500 grit abralon pad using light pressure sanded a ball to a surface of about 700. Using the same pad a second time achieved a surface of only about 2300. Vacuuming or rinsing the pad did not help much at all
    There is something to that. I recently sanded my Timeless with my 2000 pad and it damn near put a shine on the ball, thus the reason for posting this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidjr113 View Post
    Incredibly enlightening article, thanks for pointing it out. Anyone who uses a spinner should read...

Here's a link:
    https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bow...s-your-number/

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Mo Pinel suggested to use a abralon pad for about 10 balls, then remark the grit to the next smoothest grit. Do 10 more balls with it as the smoother grit, then throw it away.

But a lot depends on the coverstock type and the pressure you use, whether used on a spinner or by hand, wet or dry etc.

If your really heavy handed, you might get only 5-6 balls out of one.

Siaair pads last a bit longer than abralon. Abralon 10, Siaair 20
    He must be using a very special Abralon pad. I got very little use out of my 1000 grit pad before I retired it. I used it maybe 4 times. I used it wet with fairly hard pressure. I might try Siaair pads when I get low on my Abralons, which are about $3 apiece.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    He must be using a very special Abralon pad. I got very little use out of my 1000 grit pad before I retired it. I used it maybe 4 times. I used it wet with fairly hard pressure. I might try Siaair pads when I get low on my Abralons, which are about $3 apiece.
    "with fairly hard pressure." that's the main reason you only got 4 uses.

The More pressure you use the faster they wear out.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pads can be had in small bulk for ~$2.40 each. If you get 3 or 4 uses out of a pad, that's 60 or 80 cents per use.
    How many times a month do you resurface your ball?

Is this really an area where you want to squeeze a buck?
    You probably spend more on ball cleaner / polish.