Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What things in your approach go haywire sometimes.....

Chats: 0

Default What things in your approach go haywire sometimes.....

There are a lot of things in our approach that can cause problems in our games on league night. The ones I have to be conscious of are turning my hand too early in my release and not slowing down my shot when the lanes require it. When I don't turn early it is amazing how nice the ball goes down the alley. The other thing for me is speed control. The league night we just finished Saturday it took me a whole game to realize I needed to slow my ball speed. When I did the strikes started to pop up. That first game I just thought that I am going to make this work no matter what and it didn't. Sometimes I amaze myself how stubborn I will be to change something that ain't working. Do any of you folks have something in your approach that drives you crazy sometimes and you become too stubborn to change quickly to save a game or games?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

My release.

As a stroker, I'm dependent on accuracy. Missing too far right or left can create some undesirable results at times. lol

There are times when things are going great, and next thing I know I'm sending one down the center arrow when I'm playing deep.

Or, if I'm running straight up the 10 and yank one left.

If I'm lucky, the oil will hold me long enough for a Brooklyn hit and a 9 count.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    My release.

As a stroker, I'm dependent on accuracy. Missing too far right or left can create some undesirable results at times. lol

There are times when things are going great, and next thing I know I'm sending one down the center arrow when I'm playing deep.

Or, if I'm running straight up the 10 and yank one left.

If I'm lucky, the oil will hold me long enough for a Brooklyn hit and a 9 count.
    In my post I forgot to say that the pattern at our house is 42' long. I should ask them the shape of the pattern like Christmas tree or top hat etc. Maybe they use a color to designate the type of pattern like red, white or blue. They have the THS pattern by the way.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    In my post I forgot to say that the pattern at our house is 42' long. I should ask them the shape of the pattern like Christmas tree or top hat etc. Maybe they use a color to designate the type of pattern like red, white or blue. They have the THS pattern by the way.
    I'm on a 42 as well, and most THS's are like a Christmas tree.

But it f you're getting red, white and blue patterns, those are USBC sport patterns that they normally use in local tournaments (ours does).

It doesn't happen very often, but once in a great while I will trip over my own feet.

Chats: 4

I guess my worst thing in my approach that can and does go wrong is
    my timing gets out of whack every once in awhile.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    It doesn't happen very often, but once in a great while I will trip over my own feet.
    I haven’t tripped over my own feet, but being ambidextrous, I have forgotten to switch the soles on my SST 8s twice. Once caused me to do a face plant on the lane. The other time I kept my balance with a hop as the shoe stuck and I went over the foul line and slid about 3 feet down the lane.

The things that happen more often are hitting my leg on the backswing, and taking a first step that is too long causing my feet to get ahead of my swing.
    John

Timing/Balance. Every so often it'll feel just feel "wrong" as I'm starting to come through to release - and those I end up "aiming" on release. A recipe for a flat 10 usually.

Today it was nearly everything. My timing got bad, so my balance got bad. I ended up on top of the ball and hanging my thumb in, which meant it was either pulling left if my thumb was in too long, drifting right if it wasn't, or getting some really odd rotation and track flare. It was a disaster. I need help!

For me, although there are several things I'm inclined to mess up, the item that sticks out the most is the item that
    it takes me longest to realize I'm doing it, and that's getting too quick with my feet.
    When I do this and throw my timing off resulting in the ball not behaving as I expect, I will sometimes start adjusting
    to no avail, it seems like nothing works, I might even switch balls. Sometimes switching balls causes me to revert back
    to my normal speed, other times one of my teammates says something or eventually I realize what I'm doing, if I'm lucky.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast