Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USBC thinking of new rule changes/regulations?

Chats: 10

Default USBC thinking of new rule changes/regulations?

I was listening to a podcast, The Solid Nine, episode 40 and the guy was talking about how th USBC, according to 11thframe.com, that they may lower the differential in bowling balls from 0.060 to the neighborhood of .044-.048. They said that about 166 balls would become illegal and several brands would be out of business. One reason, i think it won't happen. Has anyone heard anything about this? They also mentioned something with regards to balls being tested for how much oil the cover absorbs and set a regulation with that.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about this?
    Yep, It's been discussed on some of the other forums and facebook. Mainly in regard to Chad Murphys Facebook post about Jeff Richgels articles.

https://www.facebook.com/USBCChadMur...18683678308781

The 11th Frame: Looming new ball technology limits from USBC could ignite industry war
    https://www.11thframe.com/news/artic...e-industry-war

The 11th Frame: Proposed USBC oil absorption test for balls ‘not scientifically valid’ in current form, technical experts say
    https://www.11thframe.com/news/artic...lid-in-current
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-14-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Might be a good read but not if I have to sigh up to facebook.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Might be a good read but not if I have to sigh up to facebook.
    Got to sign up and pay to read Jeff Richgels articles too.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-14-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

I have heard they are also talking about a dry towel rule for all usbc play that would start in the 2019 season

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JaxBowlingGuy View Post
    I have heard they are also talking about a dry towel rule for all usbc play that would start in the 2019 season
    There was a proposed rule change being talked about earlier this year, But I haven't heard of it being submitted to be voted on or being passed.

The rule currently states:

“The use of approved cleaning agents listed in the Approved Anytime section of the Approved Cleaners and Polishes list is permissible.”

The proposed change is to delete current text and replace with the following:
    “Only a dry towel is to be used to clean the surface of a bowling ball during USBC certified competition. Should a foreign substance appear on the outer surface of a bowling ball which cannot be removed by a dry towel, an approved cleaner may be used with consent from a league or tournament official.”

USBC accompanying text:
    "We would like to request your comments about a potential specification regarding the use of liquid cleaners during competition. The intent of the specification always has been to allow a bowler to remove dirt and oil from the ball during competition with the use of an approved liquid cleaner. Current specifications allow the use of cleaners provided:
    1) It does not affect the hardness of the ball
    2) It is totally removed from the ball before delivery
    USBC’s approved use of liquid cleaners is intended only for cleaning the ball surface, not to alter the ball performance. USBC is aware there are some liquid cleaning products that do not technically violate the above hardness and residue specification, but do alter the performance of the ball on the lane. The intent of the specification is to prohibit the use of cleaners that alter ball performance during competition."

Now there is a rule in the US Open about only using a dry towel:
    "Once competition begins, the outer surface of the ball only may be cleaned with a dry towel. NOTE: The tournament director may allow a player to remove foreign substances from the bowling ball surface with authorized cleaners on a case by case basis."

Chats: 204

I agree with the differential lowering idea. Screw the manufacturers...they've hurt the sport with they're "technology" and either it gets dealt with now or we wave "bye bye" to the "sport".

I disagree with the cleaner rule ONLY because some centers are just horrible and your ball comes back looking like a Dalmation with black spots all over it and gunk stuck to it. I dry towel has no chance of removing that and it would be a nightmare for league board members or USBC tournament officials to have to "approve" cleaning every time a ball comes back. Not to mention..."approved cleaners" are a waste of money. The ball manufacturers put soapy water in a spray bottle and charge you 15x as much as it's worth. Redunkulous.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

SandBagger

If they are going to make a rule changing the differential, the common sense manner of doing so would be to make it go into effect five years in the future so that large amounts of bowling ball companies production isn't completely wasted and turned into garbage overnight. Another question, however, is how many bowlers will have to buy new bowling balls because of this? It may be a huge expense for many people.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Pin Crusher

Speaking of rule changes are there any standards for side walls? I know a long time ago I saw a video of a company that had some really bouncy side boards that I thought should be illegal.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Speaking of rule changes are there any standards for side walls? I know a long time ago I saw a video of a company that had some really bouncy side boards that I thought should be illegal.
    Yes, it's in the USBC Equipment Specifications Manual:

See "Kickbacks"
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....s/ESManual.pdf

Oh and what your probably referring too is most likely the "WAHSAM", Which is legal. Basically it just adds more bracing , tightening everything up and takes the play out.

Last edited by bowl1820; 01-10-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast