Thread: Can you call for a meeting at any time?

Chats: 0

Question Can you call for a meeting at any time?

I am on a sanctioned mixed league. We have never had a meeting during the 5 years I have been on it. I want to call a special meeting because this past week we had 7 inches snow and the Officers did not cancel. Only a handful of the league showed up. Is there a way to propose some kind of "weather event rule" for cancellation?

Thanks,

Brian

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerdad34 View Post
    I am on a sanctioned mixed league. We have never had a meeting during the 5 years I have been on it.
    No meeting ever.

When and How do they elect officers, set handicap, point system etc.

League Operations Handbook
    http://usbcongress.http.internapcdn....erationshb.pdf

Excerpt:
    This checklist is a quick review of the league’s operational duties. The details of each officer’s duties can be found in the Playing Rules book and in the following pages of this manual.

The basics of getting your league up and rolling...
    1-Have a meeting to adopt rules before the first session of bowling

I want to call a special meeting because this past week we had 7 inches snow and the Officers did not cancel. Only a handful of the league showed up. Is there a way to propose some kind of "weather event rule" for cancellation?
    Yes the league officers can call for a postponement do to weather..

Postponements (Rule 111a- 111f) – Postponements may be requested up to the league start time, unless an emergency existed. A league’s board of directors, specific committee, or a youth league supervisor/official decides requests for postponements. Leagues must grant postponements for emergencies.

Minimize postponement problems by:

Discussing postponements at the organizational meeting for special situations such as hunting seasons, holidays or local/national events.

Consider lowering the legal lineup requirement.
    Allowing teams to carry extra team members on the team roster or keeping a list of roving or designated substitutes, including contact information.
    Appointing a committee of one or more people to handle postponement requests and cancellations because of severe weather.

Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 111d.
    111d/1 Who has the authority to call off bowling for the entire league because of bad weather?

While there is no specific rule giving the authority to cancel bowling because of inclement
    weather, decisions made by league officers have been consistently upheld. The officers should
    be acting in the league’s best interest. To be assured they are making the correct decision
    to cancel bowling, the officers should conduct a telephone poll of board members. If a
    majority vote supporting the decision is obtained, it is in line with Rule 103b and Rule 111d,
    Item 1, which authorize the board to decide on postponements.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-17-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

Thanks for the very informative reply!

Brian