Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally my coach on Video

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Why would you make this comment - no one asked about it? This guy grew up in 60's & 70"s when no patterns and everyone used plastic - playing 1 board off the corners. He carries 230 avg THS and 210 PBA.

I hate when people jump in and first start hacking away at something without knowing everything. Thanks TBrownie for keeping it going.
    the reason i made the comment in the first place though, was this is posted in technique, not the videos section. And my take on his technique is that it LOOKS terrible. If he truly averages that high, then i suppose looks can be deceiving. But i could say he averages 290 on a THS, wheres the proof? The BEST bowlers are smooth and in the video he doesnt look smooth at all. That doesnt mean he cant be successful, it just means hes not the best.
    I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

16 years bowling, serious about bowling for the last year or two, 201 high average, Too many current balls to list, Virtual Gravity is the newest. High game 267, set 693.

Chats: 24

I noticed his baby steps on his approach I find myself doing this same thing helps me catch up my rhythm on the other end. I would like to brake this habit but it seems to help. But i like his bowling it is smooth and true.

Chats: 1127

Talking

Linky no worky! Can you fixy?

I really want to see it. Thanks!
    WORK HARD
    ROCK HARD
    EAT HARD
    SLEEP HARD
    GROW BIG
    WEAR GLASSES IF YOU NEED 'EM

the WEBB WILDER credo

Chats: 106

Quote Originally Posted by tbrownie View Post
    And my take on his technique is that it LOOKS terrible. If he truly averages that high, then i suppose looks can be deceiving. But i could say he averages 290 on a THS, wheres the proof?
    heres the proof

http://membership.bowl.com/USBCsearc...35&suffix=2331

Link didn't work with Firefox, but it does with Explorer!

Yep, old school all the way and looking good. That's the way it was in the early 60's when I learned.

Not a thing wrong with it today... ask Norm Duke and Walter Ray!

TECHNIQUES are like fingerprints and snowflakes... Ain't no two alike.
    Last edited by poflobo; 10-03-2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: forgot part of post.
    WORK HARD
    ROCK HARD
    EAT HARD
    SLEEP HARD
    GROW BIG

the WEBB WILDER credo

SandBagger
    Chats: 443

Do you really think theres a right and wrong to bowling? the main goal is to achieve strikes in this game and if you can do it consistantly then your on top of the game.
    Name: Marco
    Bowling balls: Power Groove Reactive Brunswick and Storm Furious.
    Bowling Experience: 4 - 5 years in total, but 4 years was mostly family fun but this year I actually want to get better and learn more about bowling.

Extraacount from BowlingBoards.com

Sorry all - video is posted on Livespace, IE only to view. I'll post new video's to Youtube to make it easier, but they've been axing most of my video's cause of things showing in the video (as in pictures in the background - location - etc.
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Iceman, do you know what brand and model bowling balls the coach uses?
    WORK HARD
    ROCK HARD
    EAT HARD
    SLEEP HARD
    GROW BIG

the WEBB WILDER credo

Quote Originally Posted by poflobo View Post
    Iceman, do you know what brand and model bowling balls the coach uses?
    lol - that's easy - "we" throw visionary mostly - he did turn to the "dark" side and rolled No Beat'n for a little last year. He had 1 BeatN pinned above ring finger, 1 pinned below, loved the pin below ball to get roll early and set.

I guess I have to explain a little here on the video - he is a very accurate player, he plays THS like most high level players do, he plays sports leagues extremely well - all around, he can go into any house and doesn't get ran out at tournaments. He's a great friend (and coach in this case) that I have learned so much from.

On the form looks terrible comment, that in itself is so wrong, but I see others have the view I have, work on 1 form that feels comfortable and hone it out to where it works. I watch some of the PBA new players and old, and I'm more comfortable with the old school styles - I don't like the ball touching or reading 30 boards of the lanes - finding the break point at different angles and wondering why the corners aren't falling.

Isn't the object to knock 10 pins down - who cares how - anyone can do it. 1 night don't make you good or bad - it's what you do all year that defines that. I admit, my form has a lot of different points and angles (depending on which style I use, but I tend to draw back to old school style 90% of the time) It's much more reliable for me and gives me confidence mroe than the old cranker style I use to have - yeah, I shot bigger series with the crank style, but I've got into the 2teens avg stroker style and I have had 4 clean nights leagues this year already.

I'm not taking anything away from anyone - I was a cranker, went to a stroker and my friend and coach in the video has drastically helped and any negative comments on him I take personally - technical videos, blah blah blah - he's a old school stroker. I would not ever say someone's form is terrible and call them out on proof - like the response from Drain (kudos) showing the USBC record, there is so many ppl pointing out what's wrong with everyone else -

Always remember, most days you're as good as any one, but on a given day you're better than everyone......
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 2315

Well said Iceman. I looked at the video before and if I remember anything I'd have to say there's nothing wrong with keeping it simple such as the stroker style. I actually want to learn to bowl that way but I feel like I have some limitations. I don't have a lot of revs but my speed is probably slower than average as well. It's rare that I slide right of 25 anymore(I'm a righty).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast