Thread: Targeting Question

Question Targeting Question

What's the difference in targeting closer and farther from the arrows? I understand it as closer meaning getting the ball to roll earlier, but this causes the ball to roll out - further is delaying the roll (pushing breakpoint farther down the lane).

If this is true, and you keep the target at the arrows (usually where i target) and the ball is catching too much of the 3 pin (wrapping the 10) and I slow my ball down to compensate, is this the same as moving the target closer?

What's the difference here? I have removed my robby's glove and roll much better with follow through without coming over top of the ball - last 2 nights the lanes have been slicker outside, which is my comfort zone, I moved right (left foot 10) and targeted 4-5-6 and carried well. Last evening, the shot was about the same, but the carry was wrapping and weak 10's when I would target closer.

Suggestions definitions?
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Iceman, I've never heard of moving the target as anything more than a visual tool to either help project the ball farther down the lane before it hooks (looking farther down the lane) or to help get the ball hook and roll earlier (looking closer). It's not a technique I often use, but some bowlers swear by it. Have you tried it in practice?

In my opinion slowing down is not the same as moving the target closer in the sense that they are two different points of focus and can result (but not always) in two different but equally effective adjustments. For throwing the ball slower, the focus is on moving the feet slower and/or decreasing the swing speed. That's regardless of target.

Moving the target closer can cause different bowlers' execution to change in different ways. For example, for one bowler, moving the target closer may indeed cause that bowler to throw the ball slower and thus create earlier hook and roll. For another bowler, it may cause that bowler to loft the ball less which would also cause the ball to hook and roll earlier. Those are just two examples.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

Future PBA Baller
    Chats: 443

I think that your have to throw the ball on a (line) It takes to points to make a line. I look At the boards just past the arrows, then follow through and look up at the break point zone/board I'm going for.
    I am still new at this and it seems to be working OK so far hehe...
    Good luck and I hope you find your Target IceMan...........
    Arsenal = Hammer JIGSAW{16lbs} Columbia ICON 300 {16lbs}
    Radical Inferno {15lbs}Black Rahno{16lbs}(WWF Raw is War Viz A Ball {14lbs}
    High Game/Series 263/637
    Try (VT) for winning $$fun http://www.virtualtournaments.com/Default.aspx Say 10sixer sent ya Plz..
    What I always say "LUCK IS EARNED"