Thread: A New Year's Resolution for Everyone

Default A New Year's Resolution for Everyone

If you want to absolutely improve your bowling in 2018, you need to do two things. First, if you didn't see today's PBA World Championship, find it on U-Tube and watch it. Secondly, every time you throw a ball that doesn't strike, remember today's telecast that showed just how fast the shot changes, and make an adjustment. If you do this, I guarantee that you will raise your average by at least ten pins! Happy New Year to you all.

If I didn't throw a strike, 100% it's not because the shot changed. I don't have that kind of consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by mishatx View Post
    If I didn't throw a strike, 100% it's not because the shot changed. I don't have that kind of consistency.
    This is exactly the attitude I've been talking about. If you wait until you make a perfect shot to move, you'll end the night standing twenty, hitting ten. Oh, wait a minute, are you a Typical House Bowler?

I'm a typical never stand on the same spot - never hit the same arrow - one or two games a month bowler

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by mishatx View Post
    I'm a typical never stand on the same spot - never hit the same arrow - one or two games a month bowler
    Okay, you are not exactly the type of bowler Rob was addressing. I hope that you are able to keep your New Year's resolution to bowl more often and work on consistency. There are a number of things that you can work on without going to a bowling center to make your approach and release more consistent.

For the rest of us, those who bowl at least once a week, Rob's resolution is right on the money. So, you say you're not a professional bowler, and therefore your delivery probably wasn't perfect. Guess what? The pros, while much more consistent than us mere typical house bowlers, aren't perfect on every shot either. For you and I, our shots are probably 80 - 90% of our best even on a miss. And we're bowling on a typical house shot. We really don't have to be perfect. We just need to watch the ball all the way through the pins and make an appropriate adjustment.
    John

Chats: 32

Good advice yeah the shot has to be on the right side of the lane but unless your throwing a perfect shot 98% of the time why wait
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Okay, you are not exactly the type of bowler Rob was addressing. I hope that you are able to keep your New Year's resolution to bowl more often and work on consistency. There are a number of things that you can work on without going to a bowling center to make your approach and release more consistent.
    Despite my impertinence, I really can relate. 20 some-odd years ago, there was a bowling alley in the basement of the student union and one of the house balls fit me like a glove. I bowled half dozen or more games a week at a buck a game, when i got charged at all. Bowled in a league one summer, had high average (albeit only like 173). I was consistent and accurate but never felt like I ever would improve. It seemed to me that my game had gotten to a point where the key to getting better was to string more strikes (true) and that was just down to luck (not as true as I once believed). I assumed my struggles in game three were always just fatigue, but that seems unlikely. Granted, things were different then (plastic balls, half the lanes in the center were wood...) but it's more likely true that a better understanding of the game was what was holding me back. I stopped bowling even though I had the time because I didn't see the point. Now I've started trying to bowl again even though I have much less time. I've been working the past year or so to understand the nuances more, in the hopes that my physical game can catch back up.