Thread: What would be a good complement for a Pyramid Antidote?

Default What would be a good complement for a Pyramid Antidote?

I am just getting back into bowling. Granted, I was never a good bowler (I'm in my late 40's and just began hooking the ball in the last month). So far, I would have to put my average around 150. I have an entry performance ball (Ebonite Turbo/R, which I am thinking my end up as a spare ball) and recently purchased a Pyramid Antidote (I recently hit a 204 with this ball).

However, I also would like to get one more ball (for now). I am looking at the Roto Grip Dare Devil Danger. I am wondering if this would be a good complement to the Antidote, should I decide to join a league.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Chats: 10

Hey there! Welcome! This is a great place to learn more about bowling, I have learned a lot and feel it contributed to my growth. Although I can really say if the ball would be a good compliment, I would suggest going to bowlingball.com and you can select balls to compare. I would compare the ball you have and the one you are thinking about and see how they are similar and different. You don't want to get two balls that are pretty much the same. Also, I find it easier to eventually get balls within the same company, not necessary, but when you select a company you like, its easier to put together an arsenal in my opinion. Although, I currently use different balls from two different companies, but currently going back to one. Best of luck!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    I am looking at the Roto Grip Dare Devil Danger. I am wondering if this would be a good complement to the Antidote, should I decide to join a league.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    Seems you may be looking for something a bit stronger than your Antidote, is that correct?

The Dare Devil Danger will have the capability to hook just a bit more than the Antidote and it will roll clean through the heads with a predictable move downlane. Should be fairly controllable like your Antidote!
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BowlingBoards.com View Post
    Seems you may be looking for something a bit stronger than your Antidote, is that correct?

The Dare Devil Danger will have the capability to hook just a bit more than the Antidote and it will roll clean through the heads with a predictable move downlane. Should be fairly controllable like your Antidote!
    Yes, I would like something stronger. The only concern to me is would the Danger be a "first out the bag" ball? Granted, it's not like I'm tearing up the lanes, at the moment but, I am not trying to have balls that are too similar. If I am reading your response correctly, it sounds like I wouldn't be duplicating. However, I am also wondering which, if either, would you consider a "first out the bag" ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    Hey there! Welcome! This is a great place to learn more about bowling, I have learned a lot and feel it contributed to my growth. Although I can really say if the ball would be a good compliment, I would suggest going to bowlingball.com and you can select balls to compare. I would compare the ball you have and the one you are thinking about and see how they are similar and different. You don't want to get two balls that are pretty much the same. Also, I find it easier to eventually get balls within the same company, not necessary, but when you select a company you like, its easier to put together an arsenal in my opinion. Although, I currently use different balls from two different companies, but currently going back to one. Best of luck!
    Appreciate the insight. Thanks!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by jaypeesmith View Post
    Yes, I would like something stronger. The only concern to me is would the Danger be a "first out the bag" ball? Granted, it's not like I'm tearing up the lanes, at the moment but, I am not trying to have balls that are too similar. If I am reading your response correctly, it sounds like I wouldn't be duplicating. However, I am also wondering which, if either, would you consider a "first out the bag" ball.
    Either could be a “first out of the bag” ball. Some people start with a “strong” ball and then “ball down” so they can stay with the same line. Others start with the weakest ball that will carry and “ ball up” as they follow the oil in.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Either could be a “first out of the bag” ball. Some people start with a “strong” ball and then “ball down” so they can stay with the same line. Others start with the weakest ball that will carry and “ ball up” as they follow the oil in.
    Hmmm...it seems like I'm getting more and more insight every day. So, it seems like either way, I'm good. Thanks!

Chats: 2

There is a discussion in here recently about the "1st ball out" idea. Honestly, you should never have a true "1st ball". You should, have one that comes out during practice, make a few quality shots, and decide what you need to do from there. Learn your equipment, know what each ball is going to do at any given time. People tend to overthink the "1st ball" concept. People look at me a little crazy during league when I take 2-3 balls down with me before practice and throw at least 2 of them, and then end up throwing something I didn't even throw during practice lol. I read the lanes and what they were giving me, I'm confident in knowing my equipment and my abilities to make that change. I've also thrown a few shots, had a good game, and made a ball change solely based on something I saw in the 10th frame. Maybe the ball jumped just a tiny bit, or skidded past the break point a foot or so. The big thing is to pay attention to your down lane motion and how the ball rolls through the pins. You will soon learn if you need something to read a bit sooner, or if you just need to make a move with a weaker ball.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 64

Hi jaypeesmith,

First let me say that I am a big fan of Pyramid productions due to quality and price. That being said I am sure you will love the new Pyramid Blunt Force, it has quite a bit backend and I and my friends find improve carry.

https://www.bowlingball.com/products...-new-item.html

Hope this helps. Good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Hi jaypeesmith,

First let me say that I am a big fan of Pyramid productions due to quality and price. That being said I am sure you will love the new Pyramid Blunt Force, it has quite a bit backend and I and my friends find improve carry.

https://www.bowlingball.com/products...-new-item.html

Hope this helps. Good luck,
    I have been looking at it. I am still learning my bowling style (lately, I am suspecting that I am more of a stroker). This ball seems to be a good match for my style. I'll certainly keep this one on the short list.