Thread: Questions on grip setups

Chats: 0

Default Questions on grip setups

Here is my situation:

I am a 57-year-old rookie. I began bowling one month ago, and have been using house balls at three different venues. My focus so far has just been getting my steps and timing down, and hitting my targets. I think I’m doing OK for a beginner, bowled a 140 average for a three-game set recently and somehow managed a 177 in a game last week. Obviously I’m using strictly a straight ball and using a conventional grip (and it’s always a crap shoot to find a house ball that fits decently). So, now I’m ready to move on and begin to learn a hook shot.

I have purchased a standard plastic ball to use in the interim and to use later when I might want a spare/straight ball to at least pick off corner pins. I am going to get an entry-level hook ball to begin the next step. Neither ball has been drilled. Both will be the same weight.

My questions:

I am going to go fingertip grip with inserts for the hook ball. Now, for the straight ball, should I have it drilled exactly to match the hook ball – fingertip grip with inserts? (From what I’ve read and heard, it seems consensus is to use the same setup for both balls but I had one pretty good bowler advise not to use a fingertip setup for the straight ball).

Is there any disadvantage of using a fingertip grip with inserts for a straight ball as compared to a conventional grip? Should my straight ball and hook ball indeed be set up the same, both with fingertip grip and inserts? Does it matter?

Also curious as to what to expect going from a conventional grip to fingertip, how different it is and how difficult or easy the transition typically is.
    Thanks in advance for advice. Any feedback or tips greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post

My questions:

I am going to go fingertip grip with inserts for the hook ball. Now, for the straight ball, should I have it drilled exactly to match the hook ball – fingertip grip with inserts? (From what I’ve read and heard, it seems consensus is to use the same setup for both balls but I had one pretty good bowler advise not to use a fingertip setup for the straight ball).

Is there any disadvantage of using a fingertip grip with inserts for a straight ball as compared to a conventional grip? Should my straight ball and hook ball indeed be set up the same, both with fingertip grip and inserts? Does it matter?

Also curious as to what to expect going from a conventional grip to fingertip, how different it is and how difficult or easy the transition typically is.
    Thanks in advance for advice. Any feedback or tips greatly appreciated.
    Pretty much the answers your going to get on this and all the other forums you've posted this too are going to be basically the same.

You should use the same grip on all your balls so you have the same feel from ball to ball. Switching back and forth between conventional and fingertip grip can cause problems with being consistent with your release.

After just a little practice to get use to the feel, The transition from conventional to fingertip is not difficult.

The big thing about grips is getting a proper fit to start, As you go along though you may need to have it tweaked some till it's perfect.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-04-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

That makes sense, and kind of confirms what little I've gathered. I think what threw me is concern about doing something wrong grip-setup wise with a straight-rolling spare ball. Wasn't sure if there were any reasons not to use fingertip grip with that type of ball. Trying to gain as much input as possible before I have that first one drilled. Thanks much, I appreciate it!

Chats: 32

I agree with Bowl both setups should be the same
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

SandBagger

Remember, When you get your first drilling to use any supports you will use. Example: I use a Robby and it modifies the length 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Also, have your span checked after a year or season of leagues.
    Bowling is something the hand doesn't do regularly so it will make changes to adapt.

Thanks all for the input and good advice. I appreciate it. Will plan to post an update on my experience and progress post-setup.