Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questioning the concept of a "first ball out of the bag"

Default Questioning the concept of a "first ball out of the bag"

I really question the whole concept of a "first out of the bag" ball. Given the fact that, even in the same center, the shot can vary greatly from day to day based on the topography of the particular pair, how the oil machine is operating, who is bowling on the lanes with you, and even the weather (particularly temperature and humidity), it seems that pre-determining which ball you start with is just asking for trouble.

Over in another thread the statement “first out of the bag” ball was used. RobLV1 made a observation which I thought deserved it's own thread for discussion. So I moved it and created this thread.
    bowl1820
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-05-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Questioning the concept of a "first ball out of the bag"

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I really question the whole concept of a "first out of the bag" ball. Given the fact that, even in the same center, the shot can vary greatly from day to day based on the topography of the particular pair, how the oil machine is operating, who is bowling on the lanes with you, and even the weather (particularly temperature and humidity), it seems that pre-determining which ball you start with is just asking for trouble.
    Some ball has to be "out of the bag" first, meaning the first to be rolled down the lane. So that you can see what the conditions are that night. Whether it's your benchmark ball or the ball that worked best for you last week.

The trouble IMO wouldn't come from predetermining which ball you pull out of the bag first, it would come from staying with that ball once you've seen how it reacts and what the lanes are giving you. Just because it worked last time or it's in a progression you think you have to follow doesn't mean it's the right ball.

In a way this gets into the "how do you start?" You come in and you don't know what the lanes are like discussion.

So during warmup,
    Do you use a predetermined ball and stay with it?
    Do you use a benchmark, read the lanes and then switch balls?
    How about surface?
    Use a predetermined surface on balls and swap balls
    Use one ball and adjust it's surface during warm up to get the look you want?
    or do you use a benchmark first, read the lanes and then switch balls and then adjust it's surface all during 10 min. warm up?
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-05-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

The problem becomes when the first ball out of the bag becomes the ball you use no matter what. If you have an even reading ball that you use to read the shot that's not an issue. you cant just stick a finger in the air and know that todays the day I throw ball x. Too many bowlers throw this ball because its rolling good for me or it just the ball I start with instead of using a ball to help determine what will work
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post

Over in another thread the statement “first out of the bag” ball was used. RobLV1 made a observation which I thought deserved it's own thread for discussion. So I moved it and created this thread.
    bowl1820
    I am not so much against the idea of having a “ first “ ball as not liking the idea of having a set progression of “ start with ball A, then switch to B, then C, etc.” I can see having a ball that you like to use to read the lane with. After you get an idea of where the break point should be, try each ball that you brought to see which one gives you the best carry.
    John

I remember a few years ago I bowled a local five-gamer. I happened to be on the same pair with one of Vegas' (U.S.) top senior bowlers. During the ten minutes of practice, he tried every ball he brought with him (6), before he decided which ball to start with. BTW, he won the tournament!

Chats: 2

It's all a matter of how well you can read the lanes honestly. I think for "Joe Bowler", having a standard idea of what ball to throw and when on a THS in the same house will give you results close enough to what you are aiming for. Myself, I have a general idea of how to start the night from the first ball I throw in practice. I get a read, determine how I'm going to play that area, and adjust as needed. I know, that in my home center, on our THS, the back ends are going to be snappy on tuesday night, but tend to play slicker on wednesday night. It's every week, doesn't matter what pair. So, my starting ball of choice differs from night to night. As the night goes on, I make my adjustments based off of the reaction I'm seeing. Where the ball makes the turn, angle into the pocket. Some nights I may start with urethane up the edge, other nights, I may swing a timeless or show off the first game.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

You are saying two different things. First, you say that Joe Bowler has a "standard" idea of what ball to throw on the THS in the same center, then you say that you use a look first to one ball on a Tuesday night, and a different ball on a Wednesday night. Then you say that make adjustments based on what reaction you are seeing. You already have a system, yet you are keeping enough of an open mind to make changes based on your reaction. You are already doing what I am suggesting. Perhaps it might be a good idea for Joe Bowler to try doing something similar, rather than just arbitrarily pulling his "first ball out of the bag."

The 1st ball out of the box is your benchmark ball, Not your most aggressive ball and not your weakest strike ball. This way you have something to go to if you need more hook or less hook. Your benchmark ball sound read the lanes better.

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbowlingcoach View Post
    The 1st ball out of the box is your benchmark ball, Not your most aggressive ball and not your weakest strike ball. This way you have something to go to if you need more hook or less hook. Your benchmark ball sound read the lanes better.
    Again, you've memorized the definition of a benchmark ball. The fact of the matter is that sometimes you may have to start with your weakest ball, and sometimes you may have to start with you most aggressive ball. You'll never know until you try them all.

Chats: 10

When it's time to throw practice balls before the match starts, I bring out my two main balls. I'll throw a one ball on both lanes and then throw the other ball on both lanes. Which ever ball is moving how I like it to move, I'll use it. If neither of them are moving, I'll try another ball. Typically, the first ball I roll in practice is always the first one I roll in practice, but not always the one I go with.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast