Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questioning the concept of a "first ball out of the bag"

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Again, you've memorized the definition of a benchmark ball. The fact of the matter is that sometimes you may have to start with your weakest ball, and sometimes you may have to start with you most aggressive ball. You'll never know until you try them all.
    Okay, say I’m a THB ( typical house bowler ), I bowl in one or two leagues at my local bowling center. Assuming I have arrived in time to get my bowling shoes on before our ten minutes of practice starts, and there are seven or nine other people trying to warm up, how should I best spend my limited number of practice throws? If it matters, in my bag there are a Storm Mix, Storm Hi-Road, Roto-Grip Shatter, and a Brunswick Mastermind Einstein.
    John

Rob, SOMETHING has to come out of your bag first. Line up with a shot or 2, figure the reaction, and then decide on ball from there. In practice, I'm throwing first what I consider my "benchmark ball" - a ball that will tell me how the lanes are reading that night. I don't think anyone is really disagreeing.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Again, you've memorized the definition of a benchmark ball. The fact of the matter is that sometimes you may have to start with your weakest ball, and sometimes you may have to start with you most aggressive ball. You'll never know until you try them all.
    Isn't the point of rolling a "Benchmark ball" (in warm up) first , So you don't have to try them all?

I think a lot of this is about just what someone means by "first ball out of the bag".

Are they saying "I predetermined what ball I'm using tonight already" or " This is the ball I(You should) roll first to determine what ball I(You) should use."
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-08-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 2

You are saying two different things. First, you say that Joe Bowler has a "standard" idea of what ball to throw on the THS in the same center, then you say that you use a look first to one ball on a Tuesday night, and a different ball on a Wednesday night. Then you say that make adjustments based on what reaction you are seeing. You already have a system, yet you are keeping enough of an open mind to make changes based on your reaction. You are already doing what I am suggesting. Perhaps it might be a good idea for Joe Bowler to try doing something similar, rather than just arbitrarily pulling his "first ball out of the bag."
    "Joe Bowler" is your typical league bowler, not your tournament seeker. Myself, I have an idea of how to play a THS and what I'm going to be throwing. I also can look at an oil pattern sheet and have a general idea of what and how I'm going to play the lanes. It wouldn't be a bad idea for "Joe Bowler" to learn how to do this as well. But there are far too many bowlers who go, this is my newest ball, this is what I'm going to throw until I can't throw it any more.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 2

I do get what you are saying Rob. You're talking about the person that doesn't base their ball choice off of the reaction, rather sticking with "ball #1", and setting a pre-determined changing point. Sometimes, "ball #1" will work, other times, they are going to struggle with it because they are not playing what is given to them. Rather, they are going off of what they have done in the past and sticking with it. For myself, there will always be a "ball #1", but after about 2 shots in practice I can determine what and how I'm going to play the lanes.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

In practice, I usually start with the ball that was working the best the previous week, then I adjust from there. It works for me.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

Chats: 256

I do the same as Blomer. I take out 2 balls. Typically always includes my benchmark ball and one ball up from it. Throw benchmark first a few times to get loosened up and then an actual shot with it. See t he balls reaction, if I like it I stick with it, otherwise I adjust by balling up or down depending on how I liked the reaction of my benchmark ball.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Bowler

I can't avg a 200 with only 2 strikeballs at a time? A pearl and a non pearl?

SandBagger

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    I can't avg a 200 with only 2 strikeballs at a time? A pearl and a non pearl?
    Sure. I used to average 200 with only one ball. Two is a major upgrade.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

High Roller

2 guys on my team are both over 200 average (215 and 203) and both only own 1 ball

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast