Thread: Somewhat new bowler from SC

Default Somewhat new bowler from SC

Got into bowing a bit when I was 15-16. My parents got me a plastic 14# ball that was drilled for finger tip. Unfortunately, it was also drilled for thumb tip. I always had anxiety about putting my thumb or fingers way inside a heavy ball I'm about to throw. Since the ball was drilled poorly, I always got a bad blood blister on my thumb. It was redrilled after a while, but I lost my hook (never had it properly anyway) and lost interest in bowling.

I've bowled here and there over the past 12 years but just bowled straight. I was unable to break a hundred the last time I bowled, that was a year ago, it was disheartening and it has taken me a while to get out there and try again.

My Dad gave me my grandfathers old ball. It is 16#s and fits my hand perfectly, it actually feels lighter when I'm bowing it than my old 14#. The 16# ball is a columbia 300 yellow dot, it's a deep burgundy. I bowl pretty good with it and I feel like I'm learning how to hook the ball for the first time all over again and it is going well... on dry lanes. If the lanes are freshly oiled, the ball never hooks and just hits the pins while it is still rotating. I have settled in at 15mph ball speed and a 160 average. First game with my grandfathers ball was an 212 game with no open frames. Really cool way to honor him as he was a 200 average bowler in his time.

I was hoping I could be pointed in the right direction as far as a new ball choice. I pick up spares handily with the yellow dot, but I would like a ball that could hook more on wetter lanes. I bowl with more old school form and have little interest in learning the crazy hooks that the pros do. I also live in a little nothing town and my local alley is geared more towards classic bowling. But sometimes the lanes are still a bit wet for my ball to be able to hook.

Thanks for reading all that haha, sorry for the long intro. I'm pumped for bowling right now! Going today!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by GaryP View Post
    Got into bowing a bit when I was 15-16. My parents got me a plastic 14# ball that was drilled for finger tip. Unfortunately, it was also drilled for thumb tip. I always had anxiety about putting my thumb or fingers way inside a heavy ball I'm about to throw. Since the ball was drilled poorly, I always got a bad blood blister on my thumb. It was redrilled after a while, but I lost my hook (never had it properly anyway) and lost interest in bowling.

I've bowled here and there over the past 12 years but just bowled straight. I was unable to break a hundred the last time I bowled, that was a year ago, it was disheartening and it has taken me a while to get out there and try again.

My Dad gave me my grandfathers old ball. It is 16#s and fits my hand perfectly, it actually feels lighter when I'm bowing it than my old 14#. The 16# ball is a columbia 300 yellow dot, it's a deep burgundy. I bowl pretty good with it and I feel like I'm learning how to hook the ball for the first time all over again and it is going well... on dry lanes. If the lanes are freshly oiled, the ball never hooks and just hits the pins while it is still rotating. I have settled in at 15mph ball speed and a 160 average. First game with my grandfathers ball was an 212 game with no open frames. Really cool way to honor him as he was a 200 average bowler in his time.

I was hoping I could be pointed in the right direction as far as a new ball choice. I pick up spares handily with the yellow dot, but I would like a ball that could hook more on wetter lanes. I bowl with more old school form and have little interest in learning the crazy hooks that the pros do. I also live in a little nothing town and my local alley is geared more towards classic bowling. But sometimes the lanes are still a bit wet for my ball to be able to hook.

Thanks for reading all that haha, sorry for the long intro. I'm pumped for bowling right now! Going today!

Welcome Gary. I'm glad to hear you enjoy bowling now. As you found out a properly fitting ball is everything. The ball feels lighter and you just enjoy the game so much more. I would recommend an Ebonite Cyclone or a Brunswick Rhino. Both balls are considered entry level but have plenty of hook so they give you a lot of bang for your buck. Also to properly hook a ball you probably want to go with a fingertip grip, so not sure what your Grandfather's ball is drilled for so that is something you want to consider.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to the board.

Ringer

welcome, hope your game goes well today.

Gary, Likely your best bet would be to meet with the pro shop operator in your area. You can start by telling him your story regarding bowling. He should take a look at your grandfathers ball and how see it's laid out. He'll then measure your hand to figure out what it should be, fingertip or not. Try fingertip.
    The Rhino and Cyclone are pretty good choices for a reactive resin ball. I'd recommend the Roto Grip Hustle INK. All of these different brands end up being very close in price. Storm has their Match Up series. Their hybrid cover ball would be pretty good.
    The pro shop guy will set you up with a ball that fits hopefully and you'll be on your way.
    Happy New Year and good luck...

Thanks for the replies!

It's a fingertip ball. Looks like it has been redrilled many times, but it's only noticeable in really good lighting. Checked at my old alley today about getting a ball and they no longer have a pro shop . Bowling is not doing all that well in my area evidently for them to close the shop, it is where I got my first ball drilled. Luckily my new local alley still has a shop and I planned a visit for Thursday.

Bowled pretty well today. Ruined my chance at a 200+ game with an open 10th, it was 199 lol. Averaged 172 over my 4 games.

Thank you so much for the ball suggestions!!! It's so easy to get lost in all the choices that are out there.

Ringer

Welcome to the site!!