Thread: Greetings from Chicago, IL

Chats: 0

Default Greetings from Chicago, IL

Bobby here from the suburbs of Chicago. I've been bowling since the age of 6 and I'm now 46. I have been out of it for nearly the last 10 years. I went with friends last weekend for the first time in a long time and that's all it took. I got the itch back and I want more. Time to start fresh with some new gear. My two balls I have left are beat to death and out of date, my bag smells musty and is deteriorating. It constantly falls over when standing it up (reminds me of my dad) I will keep my custom Linds though, I bought them when I was 21 and they still fit perfect and are still bright white with a couple scuff marks.

In my day I was hard core. I bowled in any tournament, pot game, league I could find. I shot a minimum of 80 games a week between all the previously mentioned and practice. I was even known to go hustle the hustler's. I was overdoing it a bit for a while. When 3 of 5 fingers on my right hand had more NU-Skin than skin on them it was time to back off. Plus it seemed my teams were getting more anxious for beer frames than actually bowling. One team had 3rd, 6th and 9th frames as beer frames in each game no joke. It was about the last bowler standing more than the last pin. I had to win most of the pots just to break even to keep up with the bar tab.

My home lanes changed owners and they ruined the place. They put in a dance club, mini golf and huge beer garden and yet neglected the lanes aside from adding cosmic. Plus the pro shop and little restaurant closed down inside which became a huge arcade. It was an amusement park with bowling lanes. Shockingly the place is still around but its a ghost town, I'm not sure how. It all caused me to lose interest.

All that said, I'm glad I went last weekend. It felt great to hit the lanes again. Not only do I have the itch but as I said in another post, my 13yr old wants me to teach him. You can read that under the topic of "http://www.bowlingboards.com/forums/5-Beginner-League-Sport-and-Recreational-Bowling"

I always did quite well bowling, I carried 200+ average from the age of 14 until I stopped in my mid 30's. It was my life for a long time. I'd like to get into it hard core like I did before. I'm also going to concentrate on my son and see if I can have him take over for Dad. Coaching is one of my goals among other things bowling.

I'm happy to be a part of this online community.
    Last edited by Phonetek; 08-09-2018 at 01:40 AM.

Chats: 10

Welcome! I’m from the far north suburbs of Chicago! Found these boards to be a great resource. I’m sure you will as well.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Thank you Blomer, I'm somewhat of a forum junkie. Everything from classic cars to video game forums so I can keep up with my kids. I never thought to search for a bowling one until now. Glad I found it, it's proving interesting. If I get back into the tournament thing and get around some, I may end up on the battlefield with ya someday.

Ringer

welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing.

Ringer

Welcome to the site!!

Chats: 4

Welcome to the boards.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Thank you all for the warm welcome. It's my pleasure being here. I'm learning a ton and having fun asking questions and sharing experiences. Although I'd rather be out on the lanes any day or night, this is the next best thing.

Welcome aboard, Bobby!
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

A welcome from the site owner?....I'm seriously honored to be here guys. I've been a part of a ton of different types of forums. None in my past had so much information, quick and thorough answers and knowledgeable people. Getting back into the sport and teaching my kid and being here to ask question I feel gives me an edge. Thank you for putting together such a great board