Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observation while open bowling

Chats: 0

Default Observation while open bowling

I don't know if it's me or if it has gotten worse. Since I've been out of it for so long it may just be me. Maybe I need to rebuild my tolerance. When we went open bowling last weekend I couldn't get over the lack of bowlers etiquette. It seems nobody knows to take turns on the approach by at least one lane over. In the 2 games we bowled it happened more times than not with someone running up along side me after I was already standing up there. Then came a lady with 3 kids all around the age of 5. Each time she bowled all 3 kids would follow her up to the foul line scattered between two lanes, mine being one of them. Finally one time I was standing up there waiting for her kids to vacate my lane and she asked "Oh, do you need them to move?" I wanted to say "DUH! YA THINK?!" but I kindly said "Yes please, I don't want them to get hurt by my follow through or long legs".

Then the unthinkable happened.... They have these little ramps for the kids to place their ball on to aim. Pretty neat actually, I remember the days of old they had ramps for people in wheel chairs. Anyway, I'm standing up on the approach with my ball up near my face ready to take my first step and this dude just runs across 6 approaches sliding one of these little ramps to another lane. I was in awe thinking "Did I just see that?" About ten minutes later he did it again!? I'm a patient person but it took a lot to not say anything. Actually I think he was an employee which makes it that much worse.

Don't get me wrong, this stuff isn't just a matter of courtesy but safety as well. A collision at the foul line or trying to stop 16lbs mid swing can cause serious injury. Could you imagine Pete Weber trying to come to a screeching halt with that high back swing? He would do an epic back flip that would replace the old footage from "The agony of defeat" when the skier wipes out on the jump that we have all seen. So....is it me or is it worse today?

SandBagger

In general when I go open bowling, I see little to no lane courtesy. When I was learning how to bowl 25 years ago, it was bad, but not nearly as much.
    Averages: Right (THS):215 | Left (THS):175 | Sport:166 |High Game:300 | High Series:815
    Arsenal: Storm Tropical Storm, 900 Black Ops, Motiv Tank

I refuse to bowl at the "Family Entertainment" bowling centers for just the type of behavior mentioned here.
    It's too bad that those type of centers are taking over the recreation industry.
    Last edited by jamoke; 01-10-2018 at 10:27 PM.

I was schooled by an angry league bowler, I was 8 yrs old and 2 lanes away bowling alone. I walked up at the same time as him twice. The second time he gave me the "Come Here" finger and chewed me a new one. I can remember the man's face like it just happened. Needless to say I never did it again. That was 38 years ago. LOL I probably remember it being worse than it really was but when your 8, any adult so much as sneering at you back then was bad. Now a days if I tried that I'd probably get "F you dude!" or my car vandalized or something.

Quote Originally Posted by jamoke View Post
    I refuse to bowl at the "Family Entertainment" bowling centers for just the type of behavior mentioned here.
    It's too bad that those type of centers are taking over the recreation industry.
    I guess it is what it is these days. We either have to build up a tolerance for it or quit. The only other thing is to make it obvious that you stepped off the approach with a not so happy look on your face and hope they notice and take the hint. Sometimes it does work. Most people could care less anymore so saying anything has a high risk of going very bad. It's quite sad really

Your typical open bowler likely has never heard of lane courtesy, and who is there to teach them? I learned it growing up from my league-bowler parents and grandparents, but if the bowling alley is just a place for the occasional Saturday outing, that knowledge is never there.

Pin Crusher

I usually shoot someone a look when it happens. Since my daughters tell me I've scared a few boys off with "the look", I have to assume it gets the message across. I do live in Milwaukee, however, so bowling etiquette is taught in kindergarten, I believe......
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Cranker

Most casual bowlers don't know what lane courtesy is, so I usually wait for them to throw their shots before I go. Like once they start their approach, I'm setting up my stance and I'm able to take my shot before their pinsetters have setup the next rack.

Yeah I just kinda roll with it, I don't expect open bowlers to know about etiquette. I don't go at night during cosmic bowling so don't really deal with the packed house/drunk folks doing dangerous or stupid stuff. I generally see it as helping me concentrate, dealing with distractions has helped me be a better league bowler to be honest.

I've only asked to move once, and that was when there was a group next to me with a ramp who were literally just staying on the approach. It was a dad with little kids trying to wrangle them back but was losing the battle... he definitely felt bad and apologized but it was a safety thing - I wasn't mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    I usually shoot someone a look when it happens. Since my daughters tell me I've scared a few boys off with "the look", I have to assume it gets the message across. I do live in Milwaukee, however, so bowling etiquette is taught in kindergarten, I believe......
    Hey Timmy, I think that look "the look" is a different look all together. When you're a dad and there are boys around your daughter is in a class all by itself. I'm working on perfecting that look myself, my daughter is 11 yrs old so it's time. I don't want the bowlers next to me to beg and plead for forgiveness, just simply wait their turn LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast