Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Observation while open bowling

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I think we all have had the same issues more than once. I feel that we all need to be ambassadors while at the lanes. sometimes we can make a difference by pointing out lane etiquette others are not so responsive to someone else telling their kids what to do. maybe it would be helpful for centers to post do's and don'ts more prominently. I am sure it is tough for a center to keep on top of everyone esp during busy weekends but they should at least make sure their employees know what is acceptable. safety should be the first consideration. I usually try and avoid the high traffic times when all the teen and tweens are out on group dates. of course I have had plenty of similar incidents with adults too.

Nice subject

There is another way of looking at the lack of etiquette in open bowling. Whenever I've coached an athlete who has trouble with distractions during league or tournaments, I've always recommended going to the bowling center on a Saturday afternoon as a way of learning to concentrate DESPITE all of the distractions.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    There is another way of looking at the lack of etiquette in open bowling. Whenever I've coached an athlete who has trouble with distractions during league or tournaments, I've always recommended going to the bowling center on a Saturday afternoon as a way of learning to concentrate DESPITE all of the distractions.
    great idea.

I wouldn't say there were so much of a distraction as it was a pity to see. I have a wife and 3 kids. When they are all in one room fighting and talking over one another, I have no problem putting it on ignore and noticing the ice maker in the freezer just cycled in the background over them instead. A built in husband / father mechanism I guess. That said, open bowlers are nothing. It was only practice and a night out so I can't say it really effected my game. Practice is practice, score should never be an issue in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Most casual bowlers don't know what lane courtesy is, so I usually wait for them to throw their shots before I go. Like once they start their approach, I'm setting up my stance and I'm able to take my shot before their pinsetters have setup the next rack.
    Best answer I've seen, and exactly what I do. Be ready as soon as they throw. I may start wearing bluetooth headphones and playing music during play to see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonetek View Post
    Practice is practice, score should never be an issue in my opinion
    Yes, if you are working on specific things like corner pins or whatever. But score is a big indicator of how you are doing. If you are out with the family/friends to have fun, then that's a whole other thing. But practice should be taken seriously if you are to reach the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    Yes, if you are working on specific things like corner pins or whatever. But score is a big indicator of how you are doing. If you are out with the family/friends to have fun, then that's a whole other thing. But practice should be taken seriously if you are to reach the next level.
    Eddy, I agree. Practice should be taken seriously otherwise your just spending money for nothing. However. if in practice I had the first 10 strikes I'm not saying I wouldn't go for the 300. BUT...If I did blow the 11th strike I would be more upset about the fact if I missed the spare to follow rather than upset I didn't throw the strike. Many times in practice I would shoot for the 7 or 10 pin first then throw the strike ball to get the spare. While converting the spare I would switch to 3 different lines (outter, medium and inner) so I would be comfortable shooting anywhere. Unless I was working on something specific regarding mechanics.

Back before automatic scoring I used to put check marks instead of score or ask for a 2 pin rack rather than all 10. Or the other alternative was to not even have a score sheet and pay per the ball meter. Now you have to prepay and you have to have the scorer but most of the time I just ignore it and wait for the lanes to shut off. Score is great and all but if your practice is successful, your hitting your practice pins and converting the spares I believe you will go to the next level regardless of totals at the end. Now those who never practice will never get to the next level. Even worse are those guys who go to practice and if they throw anything but a strike they hit the reset button and sweep it away. That's called throwing money away on a worthless practice.

Being out with friends then it is what it is. If they wanna compete then so be it, if it's just for laughs you can still go through the motions without being a buzz kill.

Chats: 10

I generally open bowl during times when the center isn’t busy. It’s more quiet and don’t have to worry about these things.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12