Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Storm balls for the following:

Chats: 0

Default Best Storm balls for the following:

I am looking to purchase a couple of Storm balls for a friend. She is a lower rev, slower speed player who needs the length but a good strong motion on the back end. Want one for oil, and one for medium. What balls for each would you recommend?

Thanks!

Chats: 2

If you're looking for something for low speed/low rev, I'd suggest staying more toward pearls. For oil, I'd say something like a Marvel Pearl or the Soniq when it comes out. For a medium, or when things start to break down, I'd say something like Match Up (black/orange pearl). If you're into the Rotogrip side, I'd say Wreck-Em and Hustle HYB or INK.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    If you're looking for something for low speed/low rev, I'd suggest staying more toward pearls. For oil, I'd say something like a Marvel Pearl or the Soniq when it comes out. For a medium, or when things start to break down, I'd say something like Match Up (black/orange pearl). If you're into the Rotogrip side, I'd say Wreck-Em and Hustle HYB or INK.
    All you have looked at is cover material. What about core specifications? Don't cores make any difference at all?

Your friend with lower speed likely doesn't need a different ball for the conditions as much as someone who has a bit higher speed.
    If you take a look at the charts from the Bowling This Month website (or others) there are balls that seem to cover the range from oily to dry with pretty good ratings and a couple of them that have been on those charts for a good long time is the Storm Hy-Road (hybrid coverstock) and the Hy-Road Pearl. Both balls come with a polished finish which tends to give them both some extra length and the lighter balls have a higher RG which helps get them down the lane to finish well. I'd recommend either or both these and the price of them is about as good a buy as you'll find from any company. Perhaps you could place the pearl version into the medium slot and the hybrid version into the oily slot. How's that?

If she is throwing less than 14 lbs, most Storm balls use generic cores and many balls are essentially the same ball. I.E. Timeless & Hyroad are same core and both R2S hybrid cover. Nice thing about Storm is their website shows exactly what core is used at each weight

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    All you have looked at is cover material. What about core specifications? Don't cores make any difference at all?
    Yes, they do. The Marvel Pearl and Soniq will be a bit more aggressive, symmetrical ball, both with an RG around 2.48. It will have a bit earlier motion, but smooth out on the back ends, which is awesome for a lower rev/speed bowler. As for the the Match Up pearl, higher RG (2.56), means it will go long and retain energy. There is no way I would suggest a high end, asymmetrical ball for someone with a low speed/rev rate. Probably the highest I would honestly go would maybe be something like a Torrent or a IQ Solid. Honestly, doesn't sound like that is what she needs. I'd stick to something a bit higher RG to help the ball get down lane and retain as much energy as possible
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    Yes, they do. The Marvel Pearl and Soniq will be a bit more aggressive, symmetrical ball, both with an RG around 2.48. It will have a bit earlier motion, but smooth out on the back ends, which is awesome for a lower rev/speed bowler.
    A ball with an RG of 2.48 will have "a bit earlier motion" for a higher speed, higher rev player. For a low speed, low rev player, it will lose energy at about 45 feet. Not so good for carry.

Chats: 0

For medium oil, I would recommend the Storm Match Up Hybrid in the Storm Hot Line, RG:2.57; Diff: 0.035. Also looks like a good ball to ball down to when using stronger balls.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKjWsMAgWHs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgaeRii3E0s

For medium to heavy oil perhaps the tried and true Original Hyroad a hybrid cover ball in the Storm Thunder Line, RG:2.57; Diff: 0.046. It's been around for so long for a reason. Or perhaps what I've been eyeballin' myself, the Storm Son!Q, a pearl cover ball in the Storm Master Line, RG:2.47; Diff:0.047. I think it will be released in February. Good reviews already.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMnzw5CFBXA

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    A ball with an RG of 2.48 will have "a bit earlier motion" for a higher speed, higher rev player. For a low speed, low rev player, it will lose energy at about 45 feet. Not so good for carry.
    All depends on the layout honestly. I would say something along the lines of 5 x 4 x 3 would help it retain quite a bit of energy and get down lane.

Nonsense! All the layout does is position the core within the ball. The numbers will change some, but you cannot turn a sows ear into a silk purse, as the saying goes. The fact that you are indicating a layout as 5 x 4 x 3 says that you have a lot to learn. Take a look at the Dual Angle System to begin to understand what layouts can do, or can't do as the case may be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast